March 3, 2014
Greetings Canaan brothers and sisters,
Thanks again for the kind birthday celebration and wishes yesterday. It was a great reminder of how much Betty and I have been blessed by each of you at Canaan. I pray that God has used me to build up your faith and service in Christ. I hope that he will continue to do so in the days ahead!
I’d like to make a very special announcement:
On March 23rd, our English worship service will relocate to the Ping Pong room on the first floor (next to the Fellowship Hall and Youth Room). The service start time remains the same – 10 a.m. Please help us transport chairs and equipment downstairs on March 16th. More information is forthcoming.
Some quick notes about this decision:
1. This is a “trial” relocation, with the hope of making the first floor our permanent worship area. Our leadership will be very attentive to the feedback and suggestions of our worshipers.
2. The decision was prompted by a number of factors:
- The prohibitive costs associated with remodeling the second floor space in alignment with San Jose’s newer fire safety codes.
- A felt need to be in closer proximity to the rest of the church community on Sundays. Not only would this be more convenient for volunteers who are setting up for worship, the move would be helpful for families with young children to be closer to each other. It also provides opportunity for our newer worshipers and young adults to interact with Taiwanese and Mandarin members of our church. In the end, it may help our English ministry worshipers feel a greater sense of “ownership” since we’ll be situated closer to the center of church life and have greater access to other rooms.
- Our church will be developing a “master plan” to remodel the first floor. It therefore seems to make sense for our English ministry to experiment with arrangements that would help us give input to the “master plan.”
3. Relocation was initially discussed among staff, the English Leadership Team, and the session. All three are supportive of the idea and eager for us to experiment.
If you have any questions or suggestions – and if you’d like to help, please speak to Torence Lu or me. Please pray for the relocation efforts, for God to be honored, and for our English ministry to bear even greater fruit as a result!