• Wednesday (TONIGHT), Dec 20 (4 PM): College students and Young Adults party at Ed Chen’s home.
• Thursday, Dec 30: No Young Adults Fellowship
• Friday, Dec 31: No Everglow Youth Fellowship. Church offices closed.
• Saturday, Jan 1 (5 PM): PhileoConnect New Year Gala for singles. Email Spencer T. Chang for more information.
• Sunday, Jan 2: — Youth Sunday School (9:30 AM, Fellowship Hall)
— Sunday REFRESH! (9:45, Main Lobby): “Non-verbal Trust Building.”
— English Worship (11:00 AM, Second Floor). Tim Tseng will speak on “The Promise of a New Year” (Jeremiah 31:7-14).
— Ad hoc Congregational Meeting (12:15, Worship Hall 1): to elect two facilities deacons.
— Prayer Fellowship (1:30 PM, Main Lobby).
Dec. 29, 2010
Dear Canaan EM sisters and brothers,
“On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me four calling birds…”
Ah yes, it’s Christmas! A time to rest, fest, and party. For those who like to have a little fun with the Twelve Days of Christmas song, check out this video:
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ho! Ho! Ho!
Anyway, today, young adults, college, youths, and pretty much everyone is invited to Ed Chen’s home for a casual hangout/party starting around 4pm. Ed says, “Come whenever. We will setup for video games (Xbox & Wii). Feel free if you want to bring other board/favorite games that you have. I will prepare food, if you want to bring a snack, great, if not, just come. All you need is bring yourself and enjoy hanging out with others.”
Call Ed at 650-917-1227 for directions to his home if you are coming.
Of course, Christmas is primarily about celebrating the birth of our Savior. So let’s prepare our hearts, minds, and bodies for worship and praise in the new year! Here are some quick announcements:
1. Sunday REFRESH! meets at 9:45 AM in the Main Lobby. We will continue the “Trust building” video series. This Sunday, we’ll cover Non-verbal Trust Busting and Building.
2. This Sunday at 12:15, there will be an ad hoc congregational meeting to elect two facilities deacons: Paul Hsu and Jason Wu. Please come to worship hall 1.
3. The following Sunday Jan 9 will begin with a special joint worship service to install/ordain our new elders/deacons and to appreciate our out-going elders/deacons. We will also celebrate the Lord’s Supper as a whole congregation. Joint worship begins in worship hall 1 at 10:30 AM. After the joint worship time, English worship will resume on the second floor at 11:15 AM for a testimonial service. If you are moved to share about how God has worked in your life, please prepare a brief (3 minute) testimony.
4. Youth Focus
a. On Sunday Jan. 16 (9:45 AM), Rev. Eric Segawa will lead a workshop for parents of teens called “How Can Parents Deal with the Stress of College Admissions?” The stress on students and their parents from college admissions is overwhelming. This class will help parents understand this stress and how faith is greater than this stress. Eric Segawa is a pastor and a volunteer interviewer for the Office of Admissions for the University of Pennsylvania.
b. Jan 31 will be Youth Sunday. I’d like us to dedicate at least four Sundays next year to our Youth. On a Youth Sunday, our teens will lead worship and our focus will be on highlighting and giving voice to our Youth Ministry.
5. Worship Arts Team: We would like to form a Worship Arts Team of 3-4 persons. This team would focus on the ecology of English worship (e.g., space, decorations, drama, dance, and litanies). They will meet monthly. If any of you are interested in joining the WAT or would like to recommend someone to join, let me know by Jan. 9.
6. Prayer and Spiritual Growth Team (PSGT). This team will coordinate and plan prayer meetings (e.g. the one we hold every Sunday afternoon) and ministries. It will also promote spiritual growth (e.g., encouraging daily bible readings, planning a variety of spiritual growth leaning opportunities). PSGT will meet once a month. Please let me know by Jan. 9 if you are interested in joining (or would like to recommend someone)!
7. Canaan will be holding a Newcomers Welcome Dinner on Sat. Feb. 5 at 5:00pm in the fellowship hall. The plan is to begin with a common meal, followed by three separate language welcome programs. You are a newcomer if you have not yet participated in a “Newcomers Welcome Dinner” (the last one was held last Mar 6). Betty, my boys, and I had a wonderful introduction to the church last year. So please let me know if you can come!
8. On Friday, Feb 11, Canaan’s EM will host another event that will be open to everyone – a Red Carpet Award night! We want to celebrate God’s work among us in 2010 and poke fun at ourselves. If you’d like to help, contact Chris Su, who is coordinating this event.
9. Please pray for me – I have three outside teaching/speaking engagements in Southern California in Jan-Feb:
- Jan 10-14: Seminary course on “Asian American Christianity: A Historical Approach” (Logos Evangelical Seminary, El Monte).
- Feb 7-8: Presentation at the ISAAC So Cal -Fuller Seminary Asian American Equipping Symposium: “Living Out The Gospel :Asian American History—The Lost Coin” (Fuller Seminary, Pasadena)
- Feb 24-26: Keynote address and workshop on “Five Cries of Asian American Christian Young Adults” at the 2011 North American Bridging Conference: Evangelical Formosan Churches of Southern California: (Logos Evangelical Seminary, El Monte)
I hope to see many of you this evening at the Young Adults Party at Ed Chen’s home!
Have a Happy New Year! Blessings!