• Wednesday, Sept 22: All church prayer meeting (7:30-8:45 PM)
• Thursday, Sept 23: Young Adults Fellowship meeting at Jonathan Weng’s home (7:30 PM).
• Friday, Sept 24: Everglow Youth Fellowship – Abraham: Man of Faith (7:30 PM Youth Room 160).
• Saturday, Sept 25: 6th Global international Missions Rally (10 AM – 3:30 PM)
• Sunday, Sept 26:
– Youth Sunday School (10 AM Youth Room 160): Philippians study
– English Worship (11 AM Second Floor) “Time Runs Out” (Luke 16:19-31)
– Agape Family Group will not meet.
September 21, 2010
15 People were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them; and when the disciples saw it, they sternly ordered them not to do it. 16 But Jesus called for them and said, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs. 17 Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it.’ – Luke 18:15-17 (NRSV)
Dear Canaan EM brothers and sisters,
What a privilege it was to include little children in our English worship service last Sunday! The presence of children and youth in our worship is an indication that our English ministry is becoming a place where families are welcome. Canaan is not called to serve just one generation. Nor are we called to serve different generations in isolation from one another. We are called to become a missional family church led by responsible radical disciples! Keep looking out for signs of renewal in the days ahead!
I would love to elaborate, but there are a number of important announcements regarding upcoming events. I’ll say more about missional families and responsible radicaliciousness next time. Now the announcements:
1. Photos for the EM retreat to share. Please let me know if you have any photos – I’d like to use some of them for the EM website.
2. Grace Hsiao has shared with me the summary of her talks at the EM retreat. They are posted in the Retreat section of http://www.canaanem.tk – please take a look!
2. No one gave me names and brief descriptions of restaurants and eateries near Canaan. I’d like to compile a list of places that we would recommend to guests. So please take a minute to send me this information this week. I’d like to compile and post a directory before the new Targets opens on Oct 10th.
All Out All Church Prayer Fest
Tomorrow evening (Wed), we will be holding what I call an “All Out All Church Prayer Fest” between 7:30 – 8:45 PM. This special prayer hoe down will kick off Canaan’s 30th Anniversary celebration. Come to Worship Hall 1 to praise God for his enduring love over the years and to pray for future pressing needs.
Greeters needed! 6th Global International Missions Rally (Sat, Sept. 25)
This Saturday morning at 10 AM, the English ministry is being tapped to support the 6th Global International Missions Rally, to be held in Worship Hall 1 [Download schedule: 6th Global international Missions Rally Schedule]. Debbie Hsieh and our worship team will lead the opening session in worship. We need ten ushers and greeters to welcome people from various churches. Could you let me know ASAP if you are able to serve as greeter and usher?
Lunch will be served by the Taiwanese service and Pastor Su will be part of a panel in the afternoon. On Sunday evening, the Mandarin service will provide greeters and ushers. The Global International Missions Rally will be inspiration and educational. Come and see what God is doing all over the world!
Walk for Neighbors 2010 Event (Oct 2)
Our neighboring church, the Korean Emmanuel Presbyterian Church is celebrating its 30th anniversary by sponsoring a charity walkathon event on Saturday, Oct. 2 (8:30 registration/warm up, start 9:30 AM – meet at KEPC parking lot). The benefit will be used to support the Alviso community. They are asking for $10/person donation to register. T-shirt, lunch, and water will be provided by KEPC. Let me know if you are interested in joining me as we support our fellow Christians during this walk. If you can read Korean, their website probably provides more detail (I can’t read Korean): http://kepc.org/
Canaan 30th Anniversary Festival/Bazaar (Oct. 16)
This will be both an exciting event and an opportunity to invite your friends to be part of a fun day! Purchase tickets from Jonathan Weng (email Jonathan). More details forthcoming.
The next two months will be quite busy at Canaan! I know, I know – we’re just getting adjusted to worshiping at a new time and location. Please pace yourself and enjoy all the fun. God has blessed all of us by embedding us in Canaan’s history and community. So even as you serve, find opportunities to celebrate because you are part of God’s desire to redeem and restore his people and his creation!
Interim English Pastor