November 8, 2010
Dear Canaan EM sisters and brothers,
It was good to see so many people at Canaan’s 30th Anniversary worship service last Sunday. Our Canaan community has been blessed by your active participation in our unique ministry. And I am sure that God has used Canaan to bless you as well.
I have a few important announcements to share with you today. Also, I want to share with you the English ministry statement that I shared with the congregation during the worship service. Please let me know if you have any comments or questions. – Tim Tseng
I. This Saturday (Nov 13, 5-9:30 PM)
PhileoConnect Fellowship, an interchurch Asian American singles ministry will meet at Canaan [see their website]. I hope that Canaan’s EM will be on the forefront of supporting single Christians in the Bay Area, so this may be a mutually beneficial partnership. The theme will be “The Power of Friendship” (suggested $12 donation includes dinner). The majority of participants in PhileoConnect are 30+, but the fellowship is open to all singles. For more information, go to the following Evite: http://www.evite.com/pages/invite/viewInvite.jsp?inviteId=PEYARKSAKFYMUMJUJWIO&li=iq&src=email&trk=aei6 Please respond on-line ASAP so that the organizers can prepare enough dinner for everyone.
II. This Sunday (Nov 14)
1. Operation Christmas Child will be packing shoe boxes at 9:45 AM in the Fellowship Hall. For more information, contact Wendy Huang at this link.
2. English Worship (11 AM, second floor). Pastor Peter Wang will be our guest speaker for a “pulpit exchange.” I will be preaching at his church, the Southbay Chinese Baptist Church http://www.scbc.net. His message to us will be “Expectations” (Acts 3).
3. Agape Family Group [families with young children] meets in the Fellowship Hall (4-6:30 PM). They will study John Ortberg’s The Life You’ve Always Wanted chapter 5. Invite your friends! Contact Winnie So & Jonathan Lin at this link.
1 Five Cries of Asian American Young Adults (Sat. Nov. 20, 9– 2 PM) ISAAC Workshop in San Jose led by Pastors Tim Tseng and Peter Wang (and possibly Grace Hsiao). See isaacweb.org and register on-line (deadline, Nov. 14). Canaan members receive a 33% registration discount.
2. Operation Christmas Child Shoe box fellowship (Sat, Nov 20, 3 PM) in the Fellowship Hall.
3. SPECIAL GUEST SPEAKER! On Sunday, Nov. 28th, my good friend, Paul Tokunaga will spend the morning with us. Paul is the author of Invitation to Lead: Guidance for Emerging Asian American Leaders (InterVarsity Press) and is the Vice-President of Strategic Ministries with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship/USA. He was formerly IVCF’s Director of Asian American Ministries. Paul will share his thoughts about Asian American Christian leadership during our first Sunday REFRESH! hour (9:45-10:45 AM) and then preach during worship service. Please invite your friends!
My statement during Nov. 7th 30th Anniversary worship service
What a joy it is to celebrate our 30th anniversary today! Our English ministry has had a rich history of sharing the gospel to English speaking people in the Bay Area. We have been blessed with strong fellowship, gifted and talented leaders, and a gentle (mostly) people. We have also been blessed by having Pastor Dan and Charlene with us for more than 17 years. Having an English pastor for so many years is very unusual, so we have been truly blessed. Pastor Dan and Charlene provided the stability needed to build a strong and tight community. So we should – we must – praise and thank God for his ministry with us.
It is unfortunate that Pastor Dan, Charlene, and their children are not here to join our celebration, for they were such a large and significant part of Canaan’s history. Since he and several co-workers have left us, there remains much hurt and bitterness. I want to announce that Canaan’s leadership is currently reaching out to him for the purpose of reconciliation. We all need to forgive, renew our love for one another, and, most importantly, move forward in Christ’s name.
As we look to the future, we eagerly anticipate how the Lord will continue to work through us. We are learning how to be more responsible for children, youth, and young adults. We are learning how to rebuild friendships and community. We are learning how to renew our spiritual growth. We will empower a new nucleus of leaders. And we will do all we can to help Canaan become a healthy church. Please pray that we will also be even more ready to share the Good News of Jesus Christ in 2011! – Tim Tseng