July 14, 2011
Dear Canaan EMers and friends,
Last Sunday, I kicked off a sermon series on Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. I focused on two themes from a very verbose first chapter:
(1) Jesus is bigger than we think he is.
(2) God’s grace is bigger than we think it is.
Indeed, if our perception of Jesus and God’s grace is too small, it leads to all kinds of problems for us. We might think that God is not powerful enough to help us, so we take matters into our own hands. On the other hand, we might think that God’s concern is limited to our personal needs and forget that God cares about all creation, all the nations, and all people. In the end, a small vision of Jesus and God’s grace results a small faith and self-centeredness.
That is why Paul concludes Ephesians 1-3 (the more theological chapters) with the following prayer:
14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. 20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (Eph. 3:14-21, NIV)
I also pray that we will all be able to have the power to “grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ” and realize that God is “able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine” [because his grace is bigger than we think it is]!
This Sunday, I’ll look at Ephesians 2 where Paul discusses God’s greater and bigger purpose for us! Looking forward to seeing you at church!
Pastor of English Ministries
P.S. The Spiritual Growth Team will be gathering praises and prayers for the Prayer Fellowship (which meets every Sunday at 1:30 PM). Please send you concerns, praises, and prayers to [this email] and the team will pray for you. Unless indicated, all praises and prayers will be confidential.
* * *
Prayer Letter for PandaMania Vacation Bible School [excerpts]
July 13, 2011
PandaMania VBS is only a couple of weeks away! We now have 90 VBS kids registered (about 3/4 have paid)! Most of the registered kids attend Canaan or other local churches…please pray that these church-going kids will know God better during the VBS week…
Please continue to:
- keep praying for God’s work in the lives of registered VBS kids
- pray for the kids who have registered but not paid to decide to join our VBS
- keep praying for more people to join the team as helpers…we are in need of 2 more crew leaders, 1 more station assistant, and 2 more miscellaneous helpers
- keep praying for VBS Planning Team (Nicole Lu, Shirley Tai, and Peggy Tsai) as we take care of all of the details for VBS week
- pray for stations leaders’ teaching preparations
- pray for crew leaders’ preparations for loving and leading their crew members
- pray for all other helpers’ preparations for their vbs role
Thanks for your prayers.
2011 CTCC VBS Director
August 2-6: PandaMania VBS