November 2, 2011
Dearest EM sisters and brothers at Canaan,
Praise God that we’ve made it through our first month’s in sync Sundays! I hope that you’ve been enjoying H2O even though you’ve had to wake up earlier to go to worship. Please share your appreciation to our H2O facilitators: Youth (Chris Liu, Tim Ang, Frances Ang, Joy Hsu); 2030 (Gloria Chang & Mike Ling); Prayer Fellowship (David Chen); Esther Bible Study (Peggy Pham); Married Couples Fellowship (Tim & Betty Tseng).
Please also thank those who have brought snacks and cleaned up during refreshments. To find out who they are, go to http://www.signupgenius.com/go/english9 And while you’re there, please sign up to help with worship service and refreshments!
As a reward for everyone’s hard work and dedication, you can sleep one extra hour this Sunday! Yes, Daylight Savings Time ends at 2 AM Sunday morning, so all of us should move our clocks one hour back!
Now for some important announcements and update….
1. Worship Micro-retreat (Nov 5, 9:30-2:30 PM). The Worship Arts Team is organizing a Worship Micro-retreat on 11/5. This will be a time of fellowship, learning, evaluating, and planning. One of our possible themes will be about cultivating our creativity in worship. Help us get an accurate headcount for lunch. Sign up on-line ASAP at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dEtsWXd0NDJNTENRalk3aUtJaWY0dUE6MQ#gid=0
Contact Brian Chen [mail]
2. This Sunday’s H2O combines Youth and Adults (11:30-12:30 PM). Join us as our Missions Committee shares about “How Canaan does Mission?” Come and find out how we have been supporting and doing missions – and find out how you can get more involved next year!
3. Our Angklung choir will rehearse this Sunday at 1 PM. Contact Syeffy Sie for more information and rehearsal location [email]
4. Chef Daniel Chen will resume his afternoon cooking classes on Nov. 13th, not this Sunday (as was mistakenly indicated in the church bulletin).
5. Young Adults Fellowship Special Workshop (Nov. 10, 6 PM at CTCC). Note time change! Tim Tseng will lead a hands on workshop on “Responding to the Five Cries of Young Adults” with the Asian American Baptist Young Adults Leadership Team. Dinner will be provided by the American Baptist Churches, but you need to sign up with Tim Tseng [email] so we can receive a head count. Contact Eve Chang [email]
6. Operation Christmas Child update (see upcoming events also): “Prayerfully consider donating some of the Halloween Hard candies to OCC. We also need big rubber bands to secure the shoe boxes and snack or sandwich size plastic ziplock bags to put the candies in. Bring them this Sunday. Thank you.” – Wendy Huang
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng, Ph.D. 曾 祥 雨
Pastor of English Ministries
Canaan Taiwanese Christian Church
1. Operation Christmas Child (Nov 14-21). We will be giving shoeboxes laden with gifts (toys, school supplies, toiletries, etc.) to needy children around world. Please consider buying a shoebox for $7 and packing it with gifts (or for $7 more, our Mission Committee will purchase the gifts on your behalf). The date(s) of our shoebox packing party will be held during H2O on Nov. 6. Consider donating hard candies from Halloween. Sign up with William Effendy [mail]
2. Tim Tseng will be a guest lecturer at an Asian American Religion course at UCLA on Wed, Nov. 16. Please pray for him as he shares about religion in Taiwanese American communities.
3. A look ahead to Thanksgiving, Advent, and Christmas:
– Nov. 11 (Sat): deadline to apply for baptism, confirmation, or membership transfer. Sign up with Pastor Tim [email].
– Nov. 20th (Sun): After worship, there will be an annual congregational meeting for church members to approve the 2012 budget, vote for new elders and deacons, and conduct other business. Youth, visitors, and folks who are not yet members will have H2O opportunities.
– Nov. 27th: First Sunday of Advent – we will hold a special worship service that will include setting up and lighting the Christmas tree! Regular H2O follows.
– Dec. 4th (Sun): We will hold a Town Hall meeting during H2O – open to youth and adults.
– Dec. 10 (Sat): English and Youth Leadership Team retreat (8 AM – 5 PM, Jesuit Retreat Center of Los Altos).
– Dec. 11th (Sun): Joint worship service to welcome new members, followed by a new members reception and sharing time during H2O.
– Dec. 18th (Sun): Christmas outreach worship service. We plan on holding a mini-musical during an extended worship service followed by a reception during H2O. Volunteers are welcome to give musical and dramatic performance. Sign up with Pastor Tim [mail].
– Dec. 25th (Sun): After worship, we may have a Christmas Day gift opening party. Seeking a coordinator!