VERY IMPORTANT!! NEEDS IMMEDIATE ATTENTION!!
I NEED A HEAD COUNT FOR TOMORROW’S DINNER before the Young Adults Fellowship Special Workshop (Nov. 10, 6 PM at CTCC). Please email or text me right away if you would like to join us. I’m leading a hands-on workshop on “Responding to the Five Cries of Young Adults” with the national Asian American Baptist Young Adults Leadership Team. Dinner will be provided by the American Baptist Churches, USA.
THIS FRIDAY, NOV. 11 is the deadline to apply for baptism, confirmation, or membership transfer during our welcome celebration worship on Dec. 11. Email or text me so that I can send you the membership application. New members will have an opportunity to share their faith journeys at the new members reception on Dec. 11.
* * *
November 9, 2011
Dear Canaan EMers,
According to Merriam-Webster, a disciple is “one who accepts and assists in spreading the doctrines of another.” This is certainly true for Christians. Making disciples is at the heart of Christ’s Great Commission:
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. — Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV)
According to Peter (and Paul), it is also about a willingness to endure hardship in order to follow Jesus:
To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. — I Peter 2:21 (NIV)
We devoted 2011 to helping our English ministry become a healthier community. We are learning how to connect to and bond with each other.
But for 2012, I would like “disciple making” to be our central theme. I hope that we can identify a group of EM’ers who will dedicate themselves to making disciples with our peers. Disciple makers should spend less energy and time in ministries of service and coordination. Rather, their primarily focus should be to reach, care for, mentoring, and encourage others (especially young believers or new comers) to grow into spiritual maturity. Ideally I’d like to identity “disciple makers” in every age group.
In order to be a missional church, we need “disciple makers” who will invest time and energy into relationships with younger believers and new members. If you feel led to be a “disciple maker” for 2012, please let me or Chris Liu know!
Have a great week! See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng, Ph.D. 曾 祥 雨
Pastor of English Ministries
Canaan Taiwanese Christian Church
1. Operation Christmas Child (Nov 14-21). We will be giving shoeboxes laden with gifts (toys, school supplies, toiletries, etc.) to needy children around world. Please consider buying a shoebox for $7 and packing it with gifts (or for $7 more, our Mission Committee will purchase the gifts on your behalf). Consider donating hard candies from Halloween. Sign up with William Effendy [email William]
2. Tim Tseng will be a guest lecturer at an Asian American Religion course at UCLA on Wed, Nov. 16. Please pray for him as he shares about religion in Taiwanese American communities.
3. A look ahead to Thanksgiving, Advent, and Christmas:
– Nov. 20 (Sun): After worship, there will be an annual congregational meeting for church members to approve the 2012 budget, vote for new elders and deacons, and conduct other business. Youth, visitors, and folks who are not yet members will have H2O opportunities, though they are also welcome to join the meeting.
– Nov. 24 (Thur): Turkey Bowl for men and women. Details forthcoming.
– Nov. 27 (Sun): First Sunday of Advent – we will hold a special worship service that will include setting up and lighting the Christmas tree! Regular H2O follows.
– Dec. 4 (Sun): We will hold a Town Hall meeting during H2O – open to youth and adults.
– Dec. 10 (Sat): English and Youth Leadership Team retreat (8 AM – 5 PM, Jesuit Retreat Center of Los Altos).
– Dec. 11 (Sun): Joint worship service to welcome new members, followed by a new members reception and sharing time during H2O.
– Dec. 18 (Sun): Christmas outreach worship service. We plan on holding a mini-musical during an extended worship service followed by a reception during H2O. Volunteers are welcome to give musical and dramatic performance. Sign up with Pastor Tim.
– Dec. 25 (Sun): After worship, we may have a Christmas Day gift opening party. Seeking a coordinator!