Nov. 17, 2011
Dear Canaan EMers,
The holiday seasons are fast approaching! During this time, many of us are very focused on family trips and activities. Please pause a moment and think about how you might reach out to returning students who are on break, those who don’t have extended families in the Bay Area, and visitors who are seeking a church community. Being a disciple who cares for others is counter-intuitive to our kinship-based sub-culture!
By the way, thanks to all of you who were praying for me during my guest lectureship at UCLA yesterday! I had a wonderful time discussing religion in Taiwanese American communities with students! Please pray for me this weekend. I have to fulfill some final obligations to ISAAC during the American Academy of Religion/ Society of Biblical Literature annual meeting in San Francisco. After which, I will be better able to focus on research and content development in the area of Asian American Christianity during my spare time.
We need 3-4 volunteers to set up the Christmas tree on the second floor during lunch time this Sunday. On Nov 27, worshipers will be encouraged to put ornaments on the tree during service. I also hope we can find volunteers decorate the second floor in preparation for Advent and Christmas in the next week or two.
This Sunday is the final day of collection for Operation Christmas Child. Contact William Effendy [email@example.com] for details.
See you on Sunday!
Tim Tseng , Ph.D. 曾 祥 雨
Pastor of English Ministries
- Nov. 20 (Sun): After worship, there will be an annual congregational meeting for church members to approve the 2012 budget, vote for new elders and deacons, and conduct other business. No H2O.
- Nov. 24 (Thur): Turkey Bowl for men and women. Details forthcoming.
- Nov. 27 (Sun): First Sunday of Advent – Christian New Year Service!! We will hold a special worship service that will include setting up and lighting the Christmas tree! Regular H2O follows.
- Dec. 4 (Sun): We will hold a Town Hall meeting during H2O – open to youth and adults.
- Dec. 10 (Sat): English and Youth Leadership Team retreat (8 AM – 5 PM, Jesuit Retreat Center of Los Altos).
- Dec. 11 (Sun): Joint worship service to welcome new members, followed by a new members reception and sharing time during H2O.
- Dec. 18 (Sun): Christmas outreach worship service. We plan on holding a mini-musical during an extended worship service followed by a reception during H2O. Volunteers are welcome to give musical and dramatic performance.
- Dec. 25 (Sun): After worship, we may have a Christmas Day gift opening party. Seeking a coordinator!