November 23, 2011
Dear Canaan EMers,
Betty and I would like to wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving! As we prepare to enter a new Christian year (yes, Advent marks the beginning of the Christian New Year), we are grateful for your love, kindness, and prayers this past year.
I hope that our Advent and Christmas celebrations will let many see that Canaan is a very special place to worship and grow. I love our unique community and I think we ought to be better known. So next year, may our practices and habits reach the following five “benchmarks” for all to see:
1. Creating Fellowship
2. Articulating Purpose
3. Practicing Hospitality
4. Making Disciples
5. Taking Responsibility
Let’s all “Walk Like a Disciple” in 2012!
* * *
This Sunday’s service will celebrate the beginning of Advent. Could you participate and pray by:
1. Wearing something blue? The color for Advent is purple (repentance) or blue (hope). This year, we’d like to focus on hope as we prepare for the coming of Jesus Christ.
2. Bringing an ornament? We will decorate the Christmas Tree with a “Hanging the Christmas Green” ceremony. Make one out of cardboard and string, if you’d like. But please be ready to hang someone on the tree.
3. Sharing your testimony? Please prepare to share a 3 minute testimony about how having hope in Christ made a difference for you this past year. Unfortunately, only three or four of us will have a chance to share, so let me know if you would like to share something.
4. Bringing a smile as baby Jalen Tang is dedicated by John and Ring.
I am also looking for about 3 or 4 volunteers to come to church early (9 AM) to put lights on the Christmas tree and to decorate the worship area. Lighting and decorations are in the box on the second floor worship hall.
After service, we will hold our final regular H2O of the fall quarter. Regular H2O will resume in January. For the month of December, second hour will be filled with celebration and cheer as youth and adults join together to welcome the Christ!
Have a blessed weekend and see you on Sunday!
Tim Tseng , Ph.D. 曾 祥 雨
Pastor of English Ministries
– Dec. 4 (Sun): We will hold a Town Hall meeting during H2O – open to youth and adults. This meeting will provide an opportunity for us to raise questions about the future of Canaan and our English ministry. It will be held during H2O (11:30 AM – 12:30 PM)
– Dec. 10 (Sat): English and Youth Leadership Team retreat (8 AM – 5 PM, Jesuit Retreat Center of Los Altos).
– Dec. 11 (Sun): Joint worship service to welcome new members, followed by a new members reception and sharing time during H2O.
– Dec. 18 (Sun): Christmas outreach worship service. We plan on holding a mini-musical during an extended worship service followed by a reception during H2O. Volunteers are welcome to give musical and dramatic performance. Sign up with Pastor Tim [firstname.lastname@example.org].
– Dec. 25 (Sun): After worship, we may have a Christmas Day gift opening party. Seeking a coordinator!