February 10, 2012
Dear Canaan EM’ers and friends,
Being a member of a church like Canaan is not being in a fan club, a social club, or even a biological family. Our community shares similar elements as all of these, but it is more accurate (and biblical) to say that a church more like a village in Christ’s kingdom. People from different walks of life gather to support each other and the village so that it can thrive and uphold the values of the Kingdom. That is why we need to hold plenty of events and activities, and communicate with each other regularly. So this update will focus on some events that are coming that you won’t want to miss!
1. Praise Band Workshop with Junko Cheng (Sat, Feb 18, 1:15-3:30 PM, second floor)
Junko is coming to lead a hands-on workshop with our praise bands next Saturday! It will be a hands-on workshop that focuses on performance and stage presence. She happened to have time to visit us during a planned trip to the Bay Area, so don’t miss this great opportunity! Let Brian Chen know by next Wednesday if you are coming! [email Brian]
For more about Junko, visit her website at: http://www.junko.com/
Here is her bio:
Junko (june-co) is a singer-songwriter, worship leader, recording artist, and children’s music specialist based in Southern California. Starting out as a featured vocalists on NHK television in Tokyo during college, this bilingual singer’s performances have since taken her all over California, Hawaii, Japan, Australia, Brazil, Peru, Paraguay, and Canada. She has shared the stage with artists such as Michael W. Smith and Avalon and with speakers such as John Townsend and Tony Campolo. Her songs have been featured on Worship Leader Magazine’s SongDiscovery CD, and she is currently a worship leader at Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, CA. Junko is proud to be an Artist Associate with World Vision and has helped acquire over 1500 sponsors for children around the world. You’re likely to find Junko singing at MOPS groups or doing a family concert at churches when she is not busy at home with her husband David and their two school-aged children, Joshua and Megumi.
2. Canaan Awards Night (Sat, Feb 25, 6 PM)
Chris Su is still selling tickets ($10/each) for our annual “poke fun at ourselves” celebration. We are having a “beach themed” award ceremony. Men are expected to dress in white polos (or anything white). RSVP on-line at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040E44A5AB2C7-canaan and Chris Su will chase you down for the money!
3. The BASS Convention is Mar 1-3! Come, get equipped! Go to bassconvention.org & sign up for free. Input our church code: HCGNW. You can get the name tag when you arrive at BASS.
4. Anyone interested in getting baptized, confirmed, or becoming a member of Canaan? Let Pastor Tim know by February 26. New members will be welcomed at Easter Sunday service (April 8).
5. Spring Quarter adult H2O (our Sunday second hour, 11:30-12:30)
We will offer, in addition to Couples’ and 2030 Fellowships, the following activities/classes:
March 5, 11, 18, 25
– Seven Kings (Nelson Lu, facilitator) will conclude its study of the Kings of Israel and Judah.
– A Christianity Worth Believing In (Tim Tseng, facilitator) will explore a more robust understanding of Christian belief than we normally think of. Utilizing James Choung’s True Story, Pastor Tim will challenge participants to develop a more wholistic Christian worldview. This class is open to everyone, but will be especially useful for those who are interested in becoming members of the church and for young Christians. For more about Choung’s book, go to: www.ivpress.com/cgi-ivpress/book.pl/code=3609
April 15, 22, 29, May 6, 20, 27 (6 weeks)
– Being a Contagious Christian (William Effendy and missions committee, facilitator). If you ever wanted to share your faith with unchurched friends and family members, but were afraid to do so, this class is for you. Based on Pastor Bill Hybels’ ministry experience at Willowcreek Community Church, this class will offer practical ways to share your faith with your peers. It is required for Taiwan Short Term Missions participants. For more information go to: www.contagiouschristian.com/
– Engaging the market and other places (Tim Tseng, facilitator). America is now a post-modern, post-Christian, pluralistic society. How can Christians live their faith in this type of society? Utilizing Gabe Lyon’s The Next Christian as a resource, Pastor Tim will guide this class into a journey of vocational discovery. Though this class is a little heavier and deeper, it will be very helpful for anyone who wants to understand how one’s faith can impact every aspect of one’s life. For more information go to: nextchristians.com/
To benefit from these classes, we recommend that you purchase the books associated with each class (though it is not necessary to buy them). To reserve a copy, sign up at this link by this Monday: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040E44A5AB2C7-spring
And so many more other activities and events are on the horizon:
- Good Friday service (April 6 at 7:30 PM): Invite your friends!
- Easter Sunday service (April 8: Joint welcome service at 10 AM; English service at 11 AM)
- Church Retreat (June 15-17): English and Youth speakers will be Larissa Lam and her husband Only Won. See On the Way Up Ministries http://onthewayup.net/
- Taiwan Summer Missions! Brochures will be available soon. Contact Pastor Tim if you are interested.
- Vaction Bible School (August 7-11)
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng , Ph.D. 曾 祥 雨
Pastor of English Ministries
P.S. Volunteers needed to donate snacks and clean up as well read scripture, serve as MCs, and give offertories during worship – especially in February and March. Contact James Chang or sign up at http://bit.ly/emworship12