February 23, 2012
Dear Canaan EM’ers and friends,
We are going to have a chillin’ weekend! This Saturday, come and join us for our annual “poke fun at ourselves” Canaan Awards celebration! Doors open at 7 PM! Tickets ($10/each) are still available. We are having a “beach themed” ceremony, so men should dress in white polos (or anything white).
On Sunday, we are holding a “reverse service” as a way of reminding ourselves that we are in the Lenten Season. Come at 9:45 AM for snacks and participate in this unique worship experience. During our second hour (H2O), the adults’ men and women will be in fellowship.
The BASS Convention will be held in Castro Valley next weekend (Mar 1-3)! Come, get equipped! Go to bassconvention.org & sign up for free. Input our church code: HCGNW. You can get the name tag when you arrive at BASS.
Beginning March 4, our adult H2O will offer, in addition to Couples’ and 2030 Fellowships, the following activities/classes:
March 5, 11, 18, 25
– “Seven Kings” (Nelson Lu, facilitator) will conclude its study of the Kings of Israel and Judah.
– “A Christianity Worth Believing In” (Tim Tseng, facilitator) will explore a more robust understanding of Christian belief than we normally think of. Utilizing James Choung’s “True Story,” Pastor Tim will challenge participants to develop a more wholistic Christian worldview. This class is open to everyone, but will be especially useful for those who are interested in becoming members of the church and for young Christians. For more about Choung’s book, go to: www.ivpress.com/cgi-ivpress/book.pl/code=3609
April 15, 22, 29, May 6, 20, 27 (6 weeks)
– “Being a Contagious Christian” (William Effendy and missions committee, facilitator). If you ever wanted to share your faith with unchurched friends and family members, but were afraid to do so, this class is for you. Based on Pastor Bill Hybels’ ministry experience at Willowcreek Community Church, this class will offer practical ways to share your faith with your peers. It is required for Taiwan Short Term Missions participants. For more information go to: www.contagiouschristian.com/
– “Engaging the market and other places” (Tim Tseng, facilitator). America is now a post-modern, post-Christian, pluralistic society. How can Christians live their faith in this type of society? Utilizing Gabe Lyon’s “The Next Christian” as a resource, Pastor Tim will guide this class into a journey of vocational discovery. Though this class is a little heavier and deeper, it will be very helpful for anyone who wants to understand how one’s faith can impact every aspect of one’s life. For more information go to: nextchristians.com/
To benefit from these classes, we recommend that you purchase the books associated with each class (though it is not necessary to buy them). To reserve a copy, sign up at this link as soon as possible:
And so many more activities and events are on the horizon:
- Good Friday service (April 6 at 7:30 PM)
- Easter Sunday service (April 8: Joint welcome service at 10 AM; English service at 11 AM)
- Church Retreat (June 15-17): English and Youth speakers will be Larissa Lam and her husband Only Won. See On the Way Up Ministries http://onthewayup.net/
- Taiwan Summer Missions! Brochures will be available soon. Contact Pastor Tim if you are interested.
- Vaction Bible School (August 7-11) – see Shirley’s announcement below…
See you Saturday!
Tim Tseng , Ph.D. 曾 祥 雨
Pastor of English Ministries
P.S. Volunteers needed to donate snacks and clean up as well read scripture, serve as MCs, and give offertories during worship – especially in February and March. Contact James Chang or sign up at http://bit.ly/emworship12
* * *
VBS 2012 is on!
August 7-11, 2012
Tuesday-Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
Sky: Everything Is Possible with God
VBS.ecanaan.org (Online VBS registration is open for those who are ready to sign up!)
Some of you indicated that you are interested in helping me and Nicole plan VBS but didn’t provide your name. If that was you, or if you are interested in joining the VBS planning team this year, PLEASE email me back so we can talk soon. We really hope to expand the VBS planning team this year, and we welcome you (youth or adult) to join us.
Some key VBS dates that impact all Canaan members and/or Canaan facilities…
May 6, Sunday (tentative): VBS T-Shirt Day (VBS staff wear VBS shirts on Sunday)
May 31: Early registration deadline (invite friends to sign up early for discount)
August 5, Sunday: VBS Decorating Day (after Sunday lunch, transform church into SKY!)
August 11, Saturday: VBS Finale program 11:30-12 (church members invited to join VBS families for a celebration/review of VBS week)
August 12: VBS Sunday (VBS a and families come to our Sunday services) and decoration teardown after lunch
Let’s pray with thankful expectation for God’s continued provision and eyes open to recognize His amazing work in the lives of each volunteer, child, and Canaan member through VBS week and the preparation process!
Trust God! (the 2012 VBS shout)