March 1, 2012
Dear Canaan EM’ers and friends,
Many thanks to all our folks who made last Saturday’s Canaan Awards Ceremony and Reverse worship service so memorable! I’m always delighted when our English ministry members display such an openness to experimentation and fun.
I learned two things from the reverse service that I’d like us to continue to experiment with:
1. Beginning worship with refreshments instead of having a break between worship and H2O seems to generate more enthusiasm and positive feelings. Several folks told me that they’ve visited churches that offer breakfast before worship.
2. Having an extended song-set after the message improves our worship experience. I’ve seen other churches do this and it appears to engage more people because even late-comers can fully participate in singing.
So, starting this Sunday, refreshments will be served at 9:50 AM. We’ll start worship around 10:05 AM. And we’ll add more songs after the message. Please let me know if you think this new arrangement improves our worship experience!
By the way, this Sunday, we’ll all be encouraged to see missions and discipleship as two sides of the same coin. Come and find out Canaan’s special way of doing mission locally and globally!
Other new developments…
1. This summer, we would like to create a team of mentors who are equipped and willing to make themselves available to support anyone seeking mentoring with life and faith. As I mentioned in last Sunday’s H2O, Canaan’s English ministry is uniquely gifted with people across the age spectrum. We can offer more encouragement for younger folks than most Asian American churches. Please let me know if you’re interested in being a mentor or a mentee!
2. Our young adults are re-imagining their ministry! Pray for them as they get more young adults involved with some exciting new ways of building their community. Join the leadership team next Wednesday (6 PM) to find out how you can help! Contact Eve Chang or Chris Su.
3. Finally, I’d like to encourage everyone to participate in the Spring quarter of H2O. In addition to our regular adult offerings of 2030, Prayer, and Couples’ fellowships, Children’s ministry is sponsoring a training class in Room 165. I’ll be leading a class called A Christianity Worth Believing In. It will explore a more robust understanding of Christian belief than we normally think of and will help students develop a wholistic Christian worldview. It is open to everyone, but will be especially useful for those who are interested in becoming members of the church and for young Christians. For a preview, take a look at this video:
The Big Story, Part 1 – http://youtu.be/kCVcSiUUMhY
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng , Ph.D. 曾 祥 雨
Pastor of English Ministries
P.S. Volunteers are always needed to donate snacks and clean up as well read scripture, serve as MCs, and give offertories during worship – especially in February and March. Contact James Chang or sign up at http://bit.ly/emworship12