June 21, 2012
Greetings Canaan EM’ers and friends,
Even though it was especially warm last Saturday, our annual All-church Retreat was a wonderful experience! The 57 attendees in the English and Youth retreat were treated to engaging and straight-forward challenges by guest speakers Larissa Lam and Only Won to live as everyday missionaries. We were encouraged to listen to God’s voice and seek our callings, become influencers while navigating the different influences in our lives, and to take steps to follow through on our commitments. We were really blessed by their music and their testimonies! Special thanks to Shirley Tai and volunteers for organizing the fun, inter-generational Amazing Race activity! Also, to the praise band (Chris Liu, Lydia Jang, Steve Pham, Arthur Saye, and Nathaniel Tseng) for leading wonderful worship sets without rehearsing! I’m especially grateful for Brian Chen, Caroline Lee, and Shally Lin for doing so much of the planning and leg work!
I came home from the retreat with a Jackie Robinson quote in mind: “A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.”
This Sunday, we resume our “Footprints” summer sermon series with a message about “Walking in Wisdom.” Friends, education, and work provide resources for us to make a living. But in Jesus Christ and his Word, the Christian disciple has resources for making a life. What kind of life? A life attained by walking in wisdom. Come and see how you can walk in wisdom!
Also, we will have a Commissioning ceremony for our Taiwan Short Term Missionaries in Worship Hall at 11:10 a.m., to be followed by a Reception in the Main Lobby during the Second Hour (11:30-12:30). Come and pray for our STMers as they seek to impact the lives of aboriginal children in Taiwan!
Tim Tseng , Ph.D. 曾 祥 雨
Pastor of English Ministries
Walk Like Disciples!
Sign up to help with worship service!
* * *
ANNOUNCEMENTS [Go to the Announcements tab for complete updates]
1. Pray for our team that will be participating in the San Jose CityTeam Local Outreach Event this Saturday (9 a.m.-Noon). Thanks Brenda So, Agnes So, and William Effendy for organizing this missions opportunity!
2. The audio recording of Cindy Lee’s June 9 workshop, “Finding God in My Roots” is now available in the “Sermons” tab at our church’s web portal: ecanaan.org Or you can directly link to it at:
3. Attention Praise band and those interested in leading praise during worship, come and train with Junko on Saturday, July 7th, from 2 – 5pm at the Orchard Valley Christian Church www.orchardvalley.org in Sunnyvale. This session includes praise band and vocal training. Let Brian Chen know if you are interested!
4. Taiwan Short Term Mission prayer requests from Pastor Chris Liu:
Our Taiwan STM team will be leaving in less than a week! Some of the team members are already in Taiwan, while the majority of us will leave next Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. If you would, here are a few prayer items we would love to have you pray for as we prepare to leave.
1. Pray for the weather. It is currently raining very hard in Taiwan and there is a lot of flooding.
2. Pray for team unity. 2/3 of our team is from Canaan while the other 1/3 from Davis Church or other churches. Also, our team is fairly young. We have many 1st or 2nd year in college students, but also many freshman in High School. The average age of our team is around 18 years old.
3. Pray for spiritual protection from any attacks from Satan.
4. Pray for good communication between the Taiwan and US leaders. Pray that the language differences won’t get in the way.
5. Pray for travel safety, health, energy, excitement.
6. Pray for opportunities to share the Gospel with the students. Pray for their hearts to be open to the Gospel message.
7. Pray for our training this Saturday and the few days of training in Taiwan before the camp starts. Pray those times would be productive and we would be prepared. Pray for our hearts and attitudes to be in the right place.