October 18, 2012
Greetings Canaan EM’ers and friends,
Happy mid-October! Instead of a reflection, I have a request. Please begin to dream about what Canaan’s English ministry can look like. You may have noticed that the individuals featured in the “Canaan People” section of our Sunday bulletins have all shared either what they like about Canaan or what they hope to see in the future. I hope their comments have been encouraging. As I begin a discernment process to renew my next term of service as English ministry pastor, it helps to know your hopes and aspirations for this church. So please dream big! And share your dreams with me or our elders and deacons!
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries
P.S. Pray for me because I’ll be the speaker for Chinese in Christ Church (Milpitas)’s Annual Thanksgiving Church retreat (Nov. 22-24).
The Browser (discuss among yourselves – and with me!)
– A recent Pew study indicated that one fifth of Americans have no religious affiliation [link]
– Income inequality may take toll on economic growth (NY Times) [link]
– Evangelical group supports family planning [link]
- Job Opening (from Stanley Chow EMAIL STANLEY)
DEADLINE: Tomorrow (Oct 19)
We currently have the following position available. We welcome and encourage referrals. If you would like to refer someone, please email his or her resume to Fiona Lin [email Fiona Lin] no later than 10/19/12 (TOMORROW!!). Thank you.Planning Engineer: (LOCATION: San Jose)Responsibilities: Customer demand forecast and capacity support netting. Capacity fulfillment, tracking and management. Demand/Loading/Capacity issues and problem solving. Potential Business Opportunity and NTO management. Planning system and reporting.Requirements: BS/MS in BM, CS, EE, IE, IT or related fields. Experience in Semiconductor Foundry Industry. Familiar with IC industry, products and market trends. Familiar with MS Office tools (Excel, PowerPoint, Access,..). Background in IT a plus.TSMC NA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Our famous Angklung choir will perform during the “LIVE from Bethlehem” Christmas musical. Director Syeffy Sie is seeking members to join this fun choir. Trust me, it is fun! The first rehearsal will be held on Sunday, October 28 (Worship Hall 1, 1:15 – 2:30 p.m.). There will be another rehearsal on November 18. Contact Syeffy Sie [EMAIL SYEFFY]
- Register to Vote! If you are a U.S. citizen, please register to vote in the upcoming elections.
Oct 22 is the last day for California. Register on-line at http://www.18millionrising.org
Asian Pacific American Legal Center has more information [Link]
- Job Opening(from James Chang)Synopsys has the following contractor position available. We welcome and encourage referrals. If you would like to refer someone, please email his or her resume to James Chang [EMAIL JAMES].
Verification Instructor: (LOCATION: Mountain View)Responsibilities: Work as a contractor to teach SystemVerilog (3-days), SystemVerilog Assertion (1-day) and SystemVerilog UVM (3-days) workshops. Must be available to travel to Synopsys and customer site in US and Canada to teach these classes.
Requirements: BS/MS in BM, CS, EE, IE, IT or related fields. Experience in RTL design or verification. Familiar with Verilog and SystemVerilog languages. Familiarity with UVM is a huge plus.
Synopsys is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- We are holding a Worship Arts and Praise Band Micro-retreat on Sat, Oct 27 (9 a.m. – 1 p.m., Second Floor). This retreat is open to anyone who is interested in helping to strengthen our English ministry worship experience. Please let me know if you want to come.
- The 2012 Fall Festival (Wed, 10/31 – 6:15pm to 8:30pm)
– Family, faith, and fun come together! Bring the kids! Invite family & friends! $3 dinner. Children & adults are welcome to come dressed up – no weapons, ghosts, witches, or other scary costumes please. Please RSVP at: fallfest.ecanaan.org
– Fall Festival Candy Drive. Please donate 1 to 2 bags of individually wrapped candies (no nuts please). Drop off your donations in marked bins in Fellowship Hall by today. Our target is 60 bags!
– We need 20+ volunteers for set up, food prep, games, face painting, crafts, clean up, and more. Talk to Nicole Lu, Mimi Liao, Jean Tsai, or Kevin Hsu if you can help.
- The next Baptism and New Members Welcome Service will be held on Dec. 9. Please let Pastor Tim know if you are interested in baptism or church membership. Membership classes will be offered soon.
- “LIVE from Bethlehem,” Canaan Christmas Musical & Sing-Along (Sat, 12/15, 7pm) Talk to Mrs. Joy Su [Email Joy], Elder Shirley Tai [Email Shirley], or Nicole Lu [Email Nicole] today if you would like to help out.
– Our rehearsal schedule:
10/28 Sunday. 1:15pm—2:30pm @WH1, all skit actors practice
11/18 Sunday. 1:15pm—2:30pm @WH1, all skit actors practice
12/02 Sunday. rehearsal (TBA)
12/09 Sunday. Full rehearsal with all actors, musicians, etc. (TBA)
12/15 Saturday. Full rehearsal with all actors, musicians, etc. (TBA)
- This Sunday, Oct 21, Ed Chen will lead a second hour class on “Your Life, Your Choices,” which will discuss decision making. Contact Ed Chen for more information [Email Ed].
- Our missions committee will be facilitating Operation Christmas Child again. Please prepare to help us collect items to help needy children around the world. Contact William Effendy if you would like to help [Email William].
- Pre-worship refreshments and November adult lunch service (sign up at canaanem.org)
– English Ministry adults are scheduled to serve Sunday lunch. Only a few slots left (including all the clean up slots). Young adult volunteers are especially needed!
– We especially would like to invite our youth and young adults to provide refreshments. Youth can ask their parents to help them buy their favorite snack items! You (or your parents) will be reimbursed or receive a donation receipt.
– Contact Deacon James Chang for more details [Email James].
- A new, informal “board game” fellowship meets on Sundays (1:30-4 pm in the Fellowship Hall). We invite you to “bring your own board game” (byobg) or just join whatever games are being played. This will be a casual time for cross-life-stage friendship-building, fun, and conversation. It doesn’t replace small groups. But will be an activity-based fellowship opportunity for anyone interested in English and Youth ministries (even kids are welcome). So, people, bring games on Sunday!