November 15, 2012
“Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?” Nathanael asked.
“Come and see,” said Philip. — John 1:46 (NIV)
Greetings Canaan EM’ers and friends,
Nathanael’s cryptic response to Philip’s invitation to follow Jesus seems to point to a reputation problem. Nazareth, the town where Jesus grew up, may have been perceived as a closed-minded community. Jesus was not welcome there.
Many who have grown up in immigrant Asian American churches feel the same way about their home churches. Perhaps getting exposed to the wider culture or campus ministries has made them feel this way.
But I believe that Philip’s response to Nathanael should be ours, too. “Come and see what God is doing at Canaan!” Our small groups are led by excellent people and have been growing. Each life stage group is maturing. And I believe that we are slowly capturing a vision for the future of Asian American Christianity, not just our own community. It may be audacious, but I think that we will be perceived as one of the leading edge ministries among Bay Area Asian Americans within the next few years.
Come and see!
NOW FOR ANNOUNCEMENTS
1. A BIG THANK YOU to all who helped with our Operation Christmas Child Shoebox Packing Party last Sunday! Thanks William Effendy and Wendy Huang for organizing the event!
2. Rev. Dr. Russell Yee will be our guest speaker this Sunday. He will give a message about ‘sleep and rest’ – just in time for Thanksgiving!
3. Pray for me. I will be the speaker for the Chinese Church in Christ (Milpitas) annual retreat next weekend.
4. Asian American Leadership Conference 2013 (Mar 11-13, Los Angeles) Pastor Su and I would like to invite you to join us as we attend the upcoming AALC! This national triennial conference brings together Asian American evangelical leaders for a time of encouragement and equipping. AALC includes inspiring worship and speakers, a diversity of workshops, and opportunities for networking and resource sharing. We would like to register as a church before the December 10 early bird deadline, so please let me know if you would like to join us. Visit http://www.aalcinfo.com for more details.
5. Planning Center Online (PCO) is our new online service planner. If you haven’t received an email invitation to serve as a worship leader or in children’s ministry, please let me know immediately!
6. Opportunities to serve! We are looking for volunteers to help with the following opportunities.
- More people to serve lunch during November. Adults, please sign up at canaanem.org!
- Help William Tai set up the Christmas Tree and lights tomorrow evening (Nov 16th). Contact him at William Tai [EMAIL] [2 persons]
- Pre-Thanksgiving Dinner by Taiwanese service – opportunity to lead a program for English speaking Young Adults and youth. Speak to Chris Liu.
- Christmas Tree lighting and decoration on Nov 25th during the second hour [1 person]
- College Student care. Send a care package to our college students during finals [2 persons]
- Ministry fair for 2013 opportunities on Dec 2 during the second hour [2 persons]
- Welcome reception on Dec 9 during the second hour [one person]
- Christmas Party on Dec 16 during the second hour [2 persons]
- English and Youth Ministry Town Hall on Dec 23 during the second hour [2 persons]
- Canaan Awards Night (tentatively Jan 5) [2 persons, let Pastor Tim know by November 25]
- Chris Liu Ordination Service Planning Team (Jan or Feb) [2 have signed up – let Pastor Tim know if you are interested]
7. “LIVE! from Bethlehem,” Canaan Christmas Musical & Sing-Along (Sat, 12/15, 7pm)
Invite your family and friends to learn why we celebrate Christmas!
Next PRACTICE is this Sunday 11/18 (WH1; 1:15pm to 2:30pm, all skit actors practice).
Future rehearsal dates:
12/02 Sunday. rehearsal (1:15-2:30 pm)
12/09 Sunday. Full rehearsal with all actors, musicians, etc. (1:15-2:30 pm)
12/15 Saturday. Full rehearsal with all actors, musicians, etc. (4-6 pm)
8. Angklung Choir Practice this Sunday at 12:45 p.m. (Room 102, Conference Room)
See you Sunday! And have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries