December 6, 2012
“I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come,” says the Lord Almighty. – Malachi 3:1 (NIV)
Greetings Canaan EM’ers and friends,
Christianity is all about a message. It is about a message from God to all humanity. It is about the coming of his great love and justice through Jesus Christ. Once we hear – really hear – the message, we cannot help but wait in anticipation for what God will do when he comes. This feeling of eager expectancy is why I love Advent Season!
Even as we await Jesus’ birth, we anticipate the wonders of God’s grace when the new year arrives. I am looking forward to finding out how God will renew and enrich us at Canaan in 2013!
* * *
A plea for everyone to respond to Planning Center Online emails. By responding to emails ahead of time, those of us responsible for coordinating Sunday worship can better prepare and make changes ahead of time. If you do not accept or decline an invitation to serve, we won’t know if you will be there. Also, by responding, you free me up to attend to other duties such as connecting with our members and sermon preparation.
* * *
Beginning in mid-January, I will lead a study of Faith Foundations. This college and pre-seminary level study group (which will be limited to 10 persons) will discuss the biblical and historical origins of Christian doctrine, what heresies are (i.e., what Christians refuse to believe), and what it means to be evangelical today. The study group will meet 8 weeknights and will be open to people from other churches. Though it will be primarily an invitation only group, if you are really interested in participating, let know as soon as possible.
* * *
Finally, a reminder that we will have an all-church welcome service and sacraments this Sunday at 10 a.m. (Worship Hall 1). This will be followed by an informal English welcome service and reception at 11:30 a.m. (Second Floor). Please join us in welcoming Ethan Lee to join our church. We’ll also hear from a surprise missionary guest, if all goes well!
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries
NOW FOR ANNOUNCEMENTS
1. A BIG THANK YOU to all who helped and participated in our Ministry Fair last Sunday! I hope it gave you a sense of all the exciting opportunities to serve God at Canaan. We are all ministers!
2. Thanks to all for praying for me when I spoke at the Chinese Church in Christ (Milpitas) annual retreat over Thanksgiving. I was encouraged by the very positive responses to my messages about how “messy” intergenerational/multicultural Asian churches can be “missional.” My messages can be found at: http://ccicnv.org/SE-Retreat2012.html
3. Asian American Leadership Conference 2013 (Mar 11-13, Los Angeles). Pastor Su and I would like to invite you to join us as we attend the upcoming AALC! We would like to register as a church before the December 10 early bird group registration deadline, so please let me know right away if you would like to join us. Here is some more information:
The third national Asian American Leadership Conference (AALC) will be held on March 11-13, 2013, at Young Nak Celebration Church, 1721 North Broadway, L.A., CA 90031, sponsored by MESA (Ministry for English Speaking Asians) and other ministries. December 10 marks the deadline for early bird registration which will give a $30 or $50 discount off the regular or late registration fee.
I attended the first two AALCs in 2004 and 2008 and conducted some workshops there. About 400 pastors, leaders, and seminarians from all over the U.S. came to each conference, both of which were designed to equip and encourage leaders serving the evangelical Asian American community. The conferences featured inspiring speakers and worship, engaging workshops on topics geared to Asian American Christian leaders, and unique opportunities for networking and resource sharing. The 2013 AALC will again offer these things, with the prospect of being even bigger and better than the first two.
Rev. Dr. Ken Fong
Conference Registration Fees:*
Early Bird: 12/10/12 – $169
Regular: 1/10/13- $199
After 1/10/13- $219
*$70 less for seminarians, full time missionaries, and spouses.
Group Rates: (Groups of 5 or more)
Early Bird per person: 12/10/12 – $150
Regular per person: 1/10/13 – $180
After 1/10/13 per person: $200
Follow on Twitter: @seacken
Join AALC FB Group
Register by downloading a form from AALC’s website and sending it to MESA (address on the form):
4. Opportunities to serve! We are looking for volunteers to help with the following opportunities.
- Welcome reception on Dec 9 during the second hour [thanks Education and Youth!]
- Christmas Party on Dec 16 during the second hour [thanks volunteers!]
- College & Grad student dinner fellowship (6:30-9 p.m.)
- English and Youth Ministry Town Hall on Dec 23 during the second hour [2 persons
- Chris Liu Ordination Service Planning Team (Jan or Feb) [2 have signed up – let Pastor Tim know if you are interested]
5. “LIVE! from Bethlehem,” Canaan Christmas Musical & Sing-Along (Sat, 12/15, 6:45pm) Invite your family and friends to learn why we celebrate Christmas! Next PRACTICE is this Sunday (WH1; 12:45pm to 2:00pm, all skit actors practice).
Future rehearsal dates:
12/15 Saturday. Full rehearsal with all actors, musicians, etc. (4-6 pm)