October 4, 2013
Dear Canaan EM’ers and friends,
1. Our next Praise Band micro-retreat will be held this Sat, Oct 12 (9:30 a.m.-noon). This is a mandatory meeting for praise band member and open to anyone interested in joining the praise band. Contact Brian Chen [email Brian]
2. Movies, Life, and Faith: A Fun Discipleship Class for everyone! Movies are modern-day sermons. They are often more memorable than Sunday messages. Join us for six movies on six Tuesdays with people from different churches. Watch and discuss some fun and interesting films. Our hosts, Pastors Eugene Chu and me, will guide the class in discussions while weaving together the stories from film, our lives, and the Christian faith.
Participants should bring $2/person each night for pizza dinner. This class will meet between 6:45-9:45 p.m.
Chinese Christ in Church, North Valley
399 South Main Street
Milpitas CA 95035
Our first class will be on October 15th.
- Come to Family Game Night to play games with other families and kids from Canaan! Game night is perfect for families with preschool age kids or older.
- Friends, siblings, and family members of any age are welcome!
- Games and Snacks will be provided!
- RSVP by 10/15/2013. Please go to kids.ecanaan.org to RSVP or email your RSVP to Nicole Lu [email Nicole]
4. It is the season for Canaan to reach out to those in need. Please give generously to these opportunities. Speak to Wendy Huang (email Wendy) if you would like to be involved.
Help us pack Operation Christmas Child shoebox gifts for neediest children around the world and share the gospel. – Please donate hard candies after Halloween!
– On Sun, Nov 10, we will have a shoe box packing party. Please bring items to pack!
– For our November Yard Sale, we need a few people to coordinate a fundraiser for the OCC shipping cost. Please donate items in clean & workable condition to sell. Junk is ok, but no trash please. See OCC table for more info.
Centerville Free Dining Room in Fremont serves the needy and the homeless with hot meals and hot shower every Tuesday and Thursday. We are collecting single use toiletries. Two collection boxes will be set up in WH3 every Sunday in Oct and Nov. Please bring the items.
We are also collecting non-perishable food and clothing for the 2 homeless men (Bill and Robert) who panhandle by the church. Please bring items every Sunday in Oct and Nov.
5. Christmas Musical Celebration (12/14, 3pm, Jubilee Center). Canaan will join an interchurch Hallelujah Chorus Choir at the celebration. We are looking for 20 EM members. Rehearsals will be held on 10/19, 11/9, 11/23, 12/7 (4-6PM, WH1) with a final one on 12/14 (11:00-12:30, WH!) with singers from all churches and a stage rehearsal at Jubilee after lunch. Please contact Wendy Huang (email Wendy) if you’re interested.
6. We are looking for a liaison to partner with the Campus ministries at San Jose State University. Let me know if you are interested in connecting with college students!
7. Our next opportunity to join Canaan as members will be Dec. 15th. If you want to be baptized, confirmed, or have your membership transferred, please send ,e your application for membership by Nov. 17th. We will hold a Canaan Basics class on Dec 7.
We continue our sermon series on Joseph’s life this Sunday. During second hour, our Everglow Youth Sunday School will continue to study “Confident Christian” while the adults will explore the “Parables of Jesus.”
See you on Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: Ph.D.
Pastor of English Ministries