November 1, 2013
Dear Canaan EM’ers and friends,
I have only reminders and updates this week – short and sweet 🙂
- Daylight Savings ends. Move your clocks back one hour!
- English worship (10 a.m., WH3). Chris Liu will preach on “A Part of Something Bigger” (Genesis 45:1-15). Is Joseph sadistic? Why does he “plant” a silver goblet in Benjamin’s grain sack and then accuse him of stealing?
- Adult Second Hour (11:30 a.m., WH3). Promise-makers versus penitent-doers? Find out more in our study of Jesus Parables entitled “Better Late than Never?” (Matt 21:28–31)
- Youth Sunday School (11:30 a.m., Room 160). Confident Christian study, part 6: Unorthodoxy
- A Ministry Expo will be held during lunch time in the main entrance hallway. Come and discover opportunities to serve and minister at Canaan!
- Support our Operation Christmas Child fundraiser. Thanks Wendy for your dedication and efforts!
2. The next discipleship class, Movies, Life, and Faith, will meet on Tuesday, Nov 5th (6:45 p.m.) at Chinese Church in Christ, Milpitas. We are screening “Wreck It Ralph.” Let me know if you can come.
3. Children’s Ministry Announcements.
Join the Children’s Ministry 2013-2014 School Year Team!
Enjoy working with kids?
Enjoy sharing about God?
Please come and serve as Teachers or Assistants. Email or talk to Nicole Lu for more info.
– Help your child prepare for church…
- Prepare offering
- Bring a snack
- Bring signed “Take Home Paper” if child did an activity or memorized Bible verse
- Be on time – Little Worship and Children’s Worship begins at 10am
- 1st to 6th graders – bring Bible
4. Operation Christmas Child Packing Party (Nov 10, second hour)
- Please consider packing 1 or 2 shoeboxes as a family to bless needy children.
- Or donate goodies (check brochure for ides) or $20 to Ms. Wendy Huang who is organizing shoe box packing party for kids on 11/10 during Sunday School hour.
- Return all packed shoeboxes by 11/24.
5. Our EM Christmas Party and Town Hall will be held on Sunday, Dec 8 during second hour (11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.). Volunteers to plan and lead the party are sought! Please let me know if you are interested.
6. Our next new member welcome service will be Dec 15. If you are interested in joining Canaan through baptism, confirmation, or member transfer, let me know by Nov 17. All are encouraged to join the Canaan Basics introduction seminar on Sat, Dec 7 at 9 a.m.
7. Christmas Music Celebration (12/14, 3pm, Jubilee Center) hosted by Nor Cal Taiwanese American Christian Churches (NCTACC). Canaan will join an interchurch Hallelujah Chorus Choir at the celebration. Rehearsals will be held on 10/19, 11/9, 11/23, 12/7 (4-6PM, WH1) with a final one on 12/14 (11:00-12:30, WH!) with singers from all churches and a stage rehearsal at Jubilee after lunch. Please contact Wendy Huang to confirm the next rehearsal.
See you on Sunday – on time 🙂
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: Ph.D.
Pastor of English Ministries