November 15, 2013
Dear Canaan EM’ers and friends,
Last Sunday, I spoke about the importance of being a blessing despite experiencing struggle in life. Resident aliens like Jacob and Joseph have experienced many trials, yet they continued to be God’s blessing to their surrounding community despite imperfect and unpredictable outcomes. As we shall see this Sunday, the reason behind this determination to be a blessing is God’s overarching desire for all of us!
1. This Sunday (Nov 17):
– English worship (10 a.m., WH3). I will preach on “Intended for Good” (Genesis 50:15-20).
– Congregational meeting (11:30 a.m., Worship Hall 1). Youth should attend the beginning of the meeting. They will be dismissed to Sunday School after the first 10-15 minutes.
One of the responsibilities of Canaan membership is attending the annual congregational meeting. Anyone is welcome to attend the meeting, although only voting members may cast ballots. Please plan to arrive a few minutes early on November 17 for registration and ballot pickup so that the meeting can begin promptly at 11:30. Registration and ballot pickup will begin at 11:20. Please visitcongregationalmeeting.ecanaan.org to access the meeting notice, agenda, 2014 budget proposal and 2013 Book of Order revision. Limited quantities of printed copies of these files are available for pick-up in the Fellowship Hall for those who do not have internet access. View the entire congregational meeting notice at https://canaanem.org/announcements/
– We will also collect donations for Philippines Typhoon Relief. Please give to support organizations that are currently engaged in relief work in the Philippines.
2. Operation Christmas Child!
Thanks everyone for helping out with packing shoeboxes last Sunday! We are still receiving shoeboxes and collecting donations ($20 to Canaan Taiwanese Christian Church). Please give all packed shoeboxes and donations to Wendy Huang by 11/24.
3. Children’s Ministry Announcements. Email or talk to Nicole Lu (EMAIL NICOLE)
– Join the Children’s Ministry 2013-2014 School Year Team!
Enjoy working with kids?
Enjoy sharing about God?
Please come and serve as Teachers or Assistants. Talk to Nicole Lu for more info.
– Help your child prepare for church…
• Prepare offering
• Bring a snack
• Bring signed “Take Home Paper” if child did an activity or memorized Bible verse
• Be on time – Little Worship and Children’s Worship begins at 10am
• 1st to 6th graders – bring Bible
4. Next Tuesday (Nov 19, 6:45 p.m.) will be our Movies, Life, and Faith Discipleship Class. We are screening “The Artist” (five academy awards) at the Mountain View Chinese Christian Church. Let Pastor Tim know if you are coming!
5. Our English Ministry Thanksgiving Wednesday Dinner and Potluck will be held on Nov 27 at 6:00 p.m. Meet at the blue wavy wall lobby (Main Lobby)
Bring your appetite, friends, $10, or a dish (optional) to share. The $10 is to defray the cost of the meal that the Taiwanese service will be preparing. Free for children 10 and under. Pre-register with Shirley Tai [EMAIL SHIRLEY] if you can, or just come! Contact her for more information or to help!
WHO IS IT FOR? English-speaking adults, college students, youth, families, and friends!
WHAT TO EXPECT?
- “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving” video
- Thanksgiving games, music, PRIZE RAFFLE!
- Ways to get extra entries for the prize raffe:
1. Pre-register for the dinner by 11/24
2. Bring food to share on 11/27
3. Make a donation on 11/27 to missions and Operation Christmas Child.
6. Our EM Christmas Party and Town Hall will be held on Sunday, Dec 8 during second hour (11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.). Volunteers to plan and lead the party are sought! Please let me know if you are interested.
7. Our next new member welcome service will be Dec 15. If you are interested in joining Canaan through baptism, confirmation, or member transfer, let me know by Nov 17. All are encouraged to join the Canaan Basics introduction seminar on Sat, Dec 7 at 9 a.m.
8. Christmas Music Celebration (12/14, 3pm, Jubilee Center) hosted by Nor Cal Taiwanese American Christian Churches (NCTACC). Canaan will join an interchurch Hallelujah Chorus Choir at the celebration. Rehearsals will be held on 10/19, 11/9, 11/23, 12/7 (4-6PM, WH1) with a final one on 12/14 (11:00-12:30, WH!) with singers from all churches and a stage rehearsal at Jubilee after lunch. Please contact Wendy Huang to confirm the next rehearsal.
9. Here are the Nicole Lu’s Children’s ministry and our EM pastors presentation for the Congregational Meeting:
Children’s Ministry report:
EM Pastors’ report:
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: Ph.D.
Pastor of English Ministries