46 “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? 47 As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. 48 They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 49 But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.” — Luke 6:46-49 (see also Matthew 7:21-27)
November 22, 2013
Dear Canaan EM’ers and friends,
Even though God is invisible, it doesn’t mean that he is not present.
Even though we are visible in our church, it doesn’t mean that we are present.
When we give thanks for all the real blessings God has given to us, let us offer more than just words to him. During this Thanksgiving and Advent Season, I pray to be fully present at church on Sundays and not just show up. Let us all renew our commitment to put Jesus’ words into practice, building a strong foundation for our relationship with God and for our church!
Please complete the volunteer sign up insert and return it to me or put it in the silver box on the back table no later than Sunday, December 1!
1. Congratulations to Letitia and Frank Hsueh! Eleanor Hsueh was born on November 16, 2013 at 12:39 pm, weighing in at 6 lbs, 3 oz; 19 inches long. Our English Ministry baby boom continues as Eleanor joins Fiona Lin (Sherry and Brian’s new girl), who was born on November 10. Last Sunday, Mike and Crystal dedicated baby Heidi.
2. This Sunday (Nov 24):
- English worship (10 a.m., WH3). Chris will preach on “Be Prepared” (Matt 24:36-44).
- Youth Sunday School (11:30 a.m., Youth Room 160): Pastors Tim and Chris will do a Q&A session.
- Adult Second Hour (11:30 a.m., Worship Hall 3), Nelson Lu will continue the Backward Parables series: “When Patience Runs Out” (Matt 21:33-46)
- We will continue to collect donations for Philippines Typhoon Relief. Please give to support organizations that are currently engaged in relief work in the Philippines.
- We will have a brief “Hanging of the Greens” celebration (1 p.m., Worship Hall 3) to set up the Christmas tree and begin to decorate Worship Hall 3 in preparation for Advent and Christmas.
3. Operation Christmas Child!
Thanks everyone for your help! Wendy will need help to deliver the 600+ shoeboxes to the OCC receiving center on Sunday. Please let Wendy Huang know if you can help out.
4. Our English Ministry Thanksgiving Wednesday Dinner and Potluck will be held on Nov 27 at 6:00 p.m. Meet at the blue wavy wall lobby (Main Lobby) Bring your appetite, friends, $10, or a dish (optional) to share. The $10 is to defray the cost of the meal that the Taiwanese service will be preparing. Free for children 10 and under. Pre-register with Shirley Tai if you can, or just come! Contact her for more information or to help!
5. Turkey Bowl XVII flag football game! Thanksgiving morning. 9:30 a.m. at Kennedy Jr. High, 21 Bubb Road, Cupertino, 95014. Contact John Tang [EMAIL JOHN]
6. Election Results of last Sunday’s Congregational Meeting (November 17, 2013)
(1) Hamilton Chen
(2) Justin Lin
(Backup 1) Ming-Hsiang Chao
(Backup 2) Robert Lu
Nominating Committee 2014
Taiwanese Ministry (TM):
(1) Nathan Hsiung
(2) David Weng
(3) Chris Lin
(Backup 1) Ted Chou
(Backup 2) Paul Chen
English Ministry (EM) :
(1) William Tai
(2) Ed Chen
(3) Vincent Chen
(Backup 1) Judy Chow
(Backup2) Crystal Chen
Mandarin Ministry (MM):
(1) Johnson Chiang
(2) Josephine Hsu
(3) Phillip Liang
(Backup 1) Jeng Chang
(Backup 2) Jennifer Lin
7. Advent Season Calendar
- Dec. 1 (First Sunday of Advent): Please bring ornaments for the Christmas tree
- Dec. 8 (Second Sunday of Advent): EM Christmas Party and Town Hall during second hour (11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.).
- Dec 14 (Sat): Christmas Music Celebration(12/14, 3pm, Jubilee Center) hosted by Nor Cal Taiwanese American Christian Churches (NCTACC). Canaan will join an interchurch Hallelujah Chorus Choir at the celebration. Rehearsals are scheduled for 11/9, 11/23, 12/7 (4-6PM, WH1) with a final one on 12/14 (11:00-12:30, WH!) with singers from all churches and a stage rehearsal at Jubilee after lunch. But please contact Wendy Huang to confirm rehearsal dates.
- Dec. 15 (Third Sunday of Advent): All church welcome service at 10 a.m. (Worship Hall 1) followed by English welcome reception at 11:30 a.m. (Worship Hall 3)
- Dec. 22 (Fourth Sunday of Advent): Sunday before Christmas Service
See you on Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: Ph.D.
Pastor of English Ministries