Vacation Bible School (VBS) is just around the corner!
Thanks to the hard work of Nicole Lu, Shirley Tai, and many volunteers, VBS has been our most publicly recognized and effective ministry to families. Please keep everyone involved in your prayers next week.
During the last two VBS’s, Betty and I have set up a “welcome table” in the lobby area. We’ve served coffee and refreshments, made seats available for people to chat, and provided opportunities to share about Canaan to guests.
Next week, I’d like more of us to support the “welcome table.”
There are two ways that you can help:
1. Go to Costco and buy seedless red grapes, clementines (or satsumas), croissants, cupcakes (or other healthy snacks that can be easily served) from Costco. Bring them to church Wednesday, Thursday, and, Friday mornings so that we can store them for the following day. You can donate or get reimbursed.
If you can help, please let me know right away so I can coordinate the amount to purchase.
2. Staff the “welcome table.” We have two main shifts – 8:45-10 AM and 12:00-1:15 PM. If you take the morning shift, we’ll need you to set up the refreshments and drinks. If you take the afternoon shift, we’ll need you to clean up. “Welcome table” staff also need to take the initiative to greet guests, prepare to answer questions, and share about Canaan.
We especially need help on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday. On Friday, I will not be able staff the “welcome table” at all since I will be driving Betty to the airport.
Please let me know if you are able to help with staffing. Thanks!
Also, this Sunday, we will continue our “Acts of Confluence” sermon series with the story of Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8).
I’d like to experiment with renaming our “second hour” the “community hour.” This way, I hope that all of us begin to use the 11:30 am – 12:30 pm as an opportunity to build up koinonia (fellowship) with one another and with guests. Let’s take advantage of this time to minister to each other through Sunday School classes and intentional efforts to get acquainted with guests.
See you at worship on Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries
* * *
1. “Canaan Basics” on August 2 has been cancelled. The next opportunity for new members to join Canaan will be Dec 14.
2. 2014 Church Retreat (Aug 15-17) at U.C. Santa Cruz. About eight English and Youth from Immanuel Taiwanese Presbyterian Church of Fremont will join us. Let’s welcome Pastor Lionel Chew, their new English ministry pastor!
3. I will be leading a workshop on “The Next Asian American Christianity” for the Asian American Baptist Alliance Convocation on August 6-7 in Glendale, California. Please pray for my preparation and presentation.
4. Thank you folks for sharing about yourself in the Canaan People column of the weekly bulletin. We are eager to have everyone participate (I’d like updated blurbs from those who shared last year). Simply go to this link, follow instructions, and get featured – bit.ly/iamcanaanpeople
– Aug 5: Young Adult Large Group Fellowship at church (7:45 PM, Worship Hall 2)
– Aug 10: All church welcome service (10 AM, Worship Hall 1).
– Aug 15-17: Church Retreat (U.C. Santa Cruz)
– Aug 29-31: Luke Christian Medical Mission Conference.
– Sept. 12-14: EM Camping Trip (Half Moon Bay) [All full]
– Nov 1: Canaan “Yes”