November 5, 2014
Dear Canaan English Ministry members and friends,
Also, thanks to all who helped with the college student care packaging. Almost all our college students have received them – many have posted their appreciations on our Facebook group pages.
We all live busy lives. Yet because of your commitment to Christ, you gave of yourselves to build up our faith community through these services of love. Thank you!
In my sermon last Sunday, I encouraged us to look again to Paul as a model for Christian witness. Paul’s unwavering determination to proclaim the gospel despite suffering and difficulties was rooted in his encounter with Jesus. In that vision, he realized that the resurrected Jesus was the fulfillment of all his aspirations and those of his people. Jesus is the fulfillment of Hebrew scripture – and the Savior of the whole world.
It is my hope and prayer that all of us at Canaan will encounter Jesus as Paul did. Christians who have had this encounter are the most determined to make a difference in the world for Christ. The encounter doesn’t have to be as dramatic as Paul’s (or Moses’ or Isaiah’s), but once we find our vision from God, nothing will be able to deter us from living our lives for him.
This is why I encourage you to start or participate in a VisionQuest group. These groups of 3-4 people who meet about once a month for ten months are geared towards helping us find (or focus) our vision and calling. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll help you set one up!
Looking forward to this Sunday, my sermon will be based on Acts 27:18-32. We’ll reflect on how to weather storms in our lives. So come and engage God’s word!
Now for some important updates…
1. The weekly Canaan English Ministry Calendar has been updated. Go to canaanem.org/calendar/
2. An Operation Christmas Child Packing Party will be held this Sunday (11/9) at 11:30 am in the Fellowship Hall. All are welcome. Shoeboxes & tax deductible donations of $20 per shoebox are due Sunday 11/23. Write your tax deductible donation check to CTCC memo OCC. Our goal this year is to reach 600 children If you want to help, contact Wendy- firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Canaan People column
Please share about yourself to our community in the Canaan People column of our weekly bulletin! Our Canaan People queue is empty, so please go to bit.ly/iamcanaanpeople and let us know who you are and why Canaan is so special to you!
4. The 2014 Congregational meeting will be held on Nov. 16 at 11:30 a.m. in Worship Hall 1. Please attend the Congregational Meeting Informational Meeting this Sunday at 1:30pm in Worship Hall 2.
5. Applications for Canaan membership through baptism, confirmation, or transfer are due on Nov 16. The next welcome service will be on 12/14. Please speak to pastors and elders for an application.
6. A Thanksgiving Worship Service will be held on Nov. 23. Please come ready to share what you are grateful for via a short testimony or a talent offering. Let me know if you’d like to participate.
7. Men’s Fellowship has a service opportunity for ten people at Second Harvest Food Bank on Dec 20 between 9 a.m.-Noon. Contact John Tang for more information.
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries