November 12, 2014
Dear Canaan English Ministry members and friends,
Thanksgiving marks the end of the Christian calendar. So on November 23, we’ll have a special English service where we’ll have opportunities to share our gratitude for God’s provision and goodness during the past year.
It’s difficult to be grateful when we face stormy weather in life. Last Sunday I shared that Paul’s counter-intuitive outlook, an outlook shaped by his vision of Jesus and mission for the Kingdom of God, sustained him through his struggles. Believe me, I know how hard it is to maintain this outlook during life-stage transitions. Recent college grads often struggle with doubt and uncertainty about their futures. Moms with very young children often feel frustrated and depressed because of the intensive demands of child rearing. And a large majority of us struggle with real and imagined pain of the excessively high cost of living in the Bay Area. Truthfully, there very few seasons of life when we don’t experience struggle.
So I encourage you to remember Paul’s story. Despite his struggles and suffering, he became the most influential follower of Jesus we know. Though his entrance to Rome in chains was rather ignominious, his life and his letters would forever be etched in the hearts of Christians. As we saw over the last three months, Paul was anchored to his intimate experience with Jesus and his saving grace. This is what inspired me to use this photo of an anchor for my twitter profile.
This Sunday, Pastor Chris Liu will wrap up our series on Acts with a concluding message about Paul in Rome.
So come and engage God’s word!
Now for some important updates…
1. The weekly Canaan English Ministry Calendar has been updated. Go to canaanem.org/calendar/
2. Thanks to all who participated in last Sunday’s Operation Christmas Child Packing Party You can still make tax deductible donations of $20 per shoebox by next Sunday 11/23. Write your tax deductible donation check to CTCC memo OCC. Our goal this year is to reach 600 children If you want to help, contact Wendy- email@example.com.
3. Canaan People column
Come on people! Share about yourself to our community in the Canaan People column of our weekly bulletin. Our Canaan People queue is empty, so please go to bit.ly/iamcanaanpeople and let us know who you are and why Canaan is so special to you! Don’t be a “gated” and “guarded” believer! And thanks to all who have already participated.
4. The 2014 Congregational meeting will be held this Sunday, Nov. 16 at 11:30 a.m. in Worship Hall 1. Come on time because the Bell Choir will perform!
5. Applications for Canaan membership through baptism, confirmation, or transfer are also due this Sunday. The next welcome service will be on 12/14. Please speak to pastors and elders for an application.
6. The Young Adults will hold a Large Group Fellowship next Tuesday, 11/18 at 7:45 PM. Contact Pastor Chris Liu for details.
7. On Saturday, Dec 6, there will be a Gospel Outreach service conducted in Mandarin at 7:00 pm in church. Contact Pastor DJ for details.
8. Men’s Fellowship has a service opportunity for ten people at Second Harvest Food Bank on Dec 20 between 9 a.m.-Noon. Contact John Tang for more information.
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries