December 17, 2014
Dear Canaan English Ministry members and friends,
How delightful it was to worship with the entire Canaan congregation last Sunday! We welcomed our new members, celebrated the Lord’s Supper, and installed our new leaders. Afterwards, I had lunch with some of our emerging young adult men.
Last night over 30 of our Young Adults had a Christmas Party/White Elephant Gift Exchange. Betty and I had a great time connecting with everyone – including a number of new people. Unfortunately we had to leave before the gift exchange. I hope that all the young adults will keep Canaan in their hearts and prayers – and build up a special place for young adults at Canaan.
This Friday, Everglow Youth will have a Christmas Party and Lock-in. Contact Pastor Chris Liu [email] for more details.
This Saturday (9 a.m. – noon) our Men’s Fellowship will help serve the hungry at the Second Harvest Food Bank near the church. Contact John Tang [email] for more information.
This Sunday is the Fourth Sunday of Advent! We’ll sing Christmas Carols! Several of our parents will dedicate their children. Join us as we covenant to raise our kids in the Christian faith. Afterwards, we’ll have a Christmas party (special thanks to Stanley Chow for helping to arrange it).
And then, join Christmas Eve Caroling with Canaan English Ministry youth and adults next Wednesday! Sign up for singing or being a stop – bit.ly/caroling2014 or contact Shirley Tai [email] for more information.
Whew! What an incredible Advent Season it has been already! And Christmas hasn’t even started! May Jesus Christ continue to be at the center of your worship, work, and family!
Other Important Announcements
1. The weekly Canaan English Ministry Calendar has been updated. Go tocanaanem.org/calendar/ Because Christmas and New Years are on Thursdays, please send me announcements no later than Monday so that the bulletins can be printed on Wednesdays.
2. Our Annual English Ministry leadership micro-retreat will be held on Saturday, Jan 1o at 9 a.m.. Pray for this half-day retreat as we prepare for the 2015 year. Pastor Brian Leong of Lord’s Grace Chinese Christian Church will be our featured resource person. Let me know if you are interested in joining.
3. The next English testimonial service will be on Jan. 25, 2015. We invite at least three persons to share with the lectionary texts to frame their stories (Mark 1:14-20; Jonah 3:1-5, 10; 1 Corinthians 7:29-31).
4. The BASS [Bay Area Sunday School] Convention (March 5-7, 2015] is looking for volunteers to serve as ushers and information desk managers. Visit their web page at bassconvention.org/volunteer.cfm and sign up or contact Deacon Nelson Lu [email]
5. Are you interested ins starting a VisionQuest group? Let me know and I’ll help you set one up!
6. Canaan People column: Share about yourself to our community in the Canaan People column of our weekly bulletin. Please go to bit.ly/iamcanaanpeople and let us know who you are and why Canaan is so special to you! Thanks to all who have already participated.
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries