December 30, 2014
Dearest Canaan English Ministry members and friends,
Greetings from Redondo Beach! Betty and I are wrapping up a fun Southern California mini-vacation. We’ve been doing more exercise and cultural appreciation than eating – well worth it!
The new year is almost upon us. I hope you are getting ready to “upgrade” our English Youth and Adult ministries! Even as we thank God for giving us growth this year, let us not be content. So many people still need to hear the gospel accurately. The nations still need healing; the world still needs hope. All of us, young and old, are called to build up church communities that can mean the difference between despair and fulfillment.
This Sunday, we wrap up the Christmas Season with a message about the incredible reality that, in Jesus Christ, God became a human. This is called the “Incarnation.” In the Incarnation, Jesus does not only empathize with us. He shows us what an authentic human life looks like. So our Sunday sermons during this Epiphany Season will explore how Jesus is the architect of the Christian life. Have a look at this page for an overview of the upcoming messages: https://canaanem.org/2015-theme/
Other Important Announcements
1. The weekly Canaan English Ministry Calendar has been updated. Go to canaanem.org/calendar/
2. Our Annual English Ministry leadership micro-retreat will be held on Saturday, Jan 10 at 9 a.m.. Pray for this half-day retreat as we prepare for the 2015 year. Pastor Brian Leong of Lord’s Grace Chinese Christian Church will be our featured resource person. Let me know if you are interested in joining.
3. The next English testimonial service will be on Jan. 25. We invite at least three persons to share their stories that reflect on these lectionary texts: Mark 1:14-20; Jonah 3:1-5, 10; 1 and/or Corinthians 7:29-31.
4. The BASS [Bay Area Sunday School] Convention (March 5-7, 2015] is looking for volunteers to serve as ushers and information desk managers. Visit their web page at bassconvention.org/volunteer.cfm and sign up or contact Deacon Nelson Lu [email]
5. The next opportunity for baptism, confirmation, or to join Canaan as a member will be Easter Sunday, April 5. Applicants and inquirers should join Canaan Basics, which will be offered in March. Speak to me for more details.
6. Are you interested ins starting a VisionQuest group? Let me know and I’ll help you set one up!
7. Canaan People column: Share about yourself to our community in the Canaan People column of our weekly bulletin. Please go to bit.ly/iamcanaanpeople and let us know who you are and why Canaan is so special to you! Thanks to all who have already participated.
See you Sunday and Happy New Year!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries