Happy Epiphany Canaan English Ministry members and friends!
I heard once that if Jesus had come to earth in the form of a Southern hillbilly, it would have been called “the intarnation.” Sorry, that was really bad – but I can’t promise that I won’t do that again.
In last Sunday’s message, I wanted us to see that Christ’s incarnation was God assuming the form of not just any human, but that of a servant. According to Philippians 2, Jesus literally became a slave and gave his life away to save us and the world. And throughout the four gospels, Jesus teaches us to imitate his servant’s heart. As we begin our Epiphany sermon series about Jesus as the architect of life, let’s remember that God’s servant heart was the reason for the incarnation and that our servant hearts are the foundations for authentic Christian living.
Of course, servanthood is just one aspect of the Incarnation. Here is a list of great quotes about the Incarnation: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/incarnation
This Sunday, we’ll look at baptism, the beginning of Jesus’ ministry – and start of the Christian life. Go to https://canaanem.org/2015-theme/ to view future sermons.
Other Important Announcements
1. The weekly Canaan English Ministry Calendar has been updated. Go to canaanem.org/calendar/
2. Question for everyone. Shall we host a Superbowl Party on Sunday, Feb. 1 at 3:30 pm at church? If so, we will be looking for volunteers to make it an outreach and family-friendly event. So talk among yourselves – we’ll decide by next week.
3. The Annual Inter-church Youth Retreat is coming Feb 13-16! Register this Sunday for the early bird rate. Speak to Pastor Chris Liu for the registration form and more information [email].
4. The next English testimonial service will be on Jan. 25. We invite at least three persons to share their stories that reflect on these lectionary texts: Mark 1:14-20; Jonah 3:1-5, 10; 1 and/or Corinthians 7:29-31.
5. The BASS [Bay Area Sunday School] Convention (March 5-7, 2015] is looking for volunteers to serve as ushers and information desk managers. Visit their web page atbassconvention.org/volunteer.cfm and sign up or contact Deacon Nelson Lu [email]
6. The next opportunity for baptism, confirmation, or to join Canaan as a member will be Easter Sunday, April 5. Applicants and inquirers should join Canaan Basics, which will be offered in March. Speak to me for more details.
7. Are you interested ins starting a VisionQuest group? Let me know and I’ll help you set one up!
8. Canaan People column: Share about yourself to our community in the Canaan People column of our weekly bulletin. Please go to bit.ly/iamcanaanpeople and let us know who you are and why Canaan is so special to you! Thanks to all who have already participated.
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries