January 21, 2015
Greetings Canaan English Ministry members and friends!
One of the great perks about following Jesus is that we get to see his vision for humanity. Jesus is not the kind of architect who simply drafts a blueprint for others to follow. He rolls up his sleeves and shows us how to live. He gives us the tools and energy we need to flourish!
Our current sermon series highlights Jesus’ pattern of life. In the incarnation, Jesus shows us a God who joins us in service of others. In his baptism, Jesus teaches us that we are all ministers. And last Sunday, Pastor Chris Liu preached that Jesus’ life was about investing in, inviting, and impacting the people around him. This Sunday, a few of our brothers and sisters will share their testimonies and show us yet another pattern of Christian living – namely, sharing about God’s presence in our lives. So come and see!
Other Important Announcements
1. The weekly Canaan English Ministry Calendar has been updated. Go to canaanem.org/calendar/
2. 2014 contribution receipts will be ready for pick up until the end of January. If your mailing address has changed in the past year or two, please contact Justin Lin to update your record.
3. The World Christian Conference will be held at Redwood Christian Park on Feb 13-16. The theme is “Blessed to be a Blessing” Register by Feb 2nd at wcfellowship.org/wcc/2015/
5. We’ve decided not to have an all-church Superbowl Party on Feb. 1. Instead, some of our families will open their homes to people who would like to come, watch the game together, and have some food and fellowship. Contact John Tang for more details [email]
6. The Annual Inter-church Youth Retreat is coming Feb 13-16! Speak to Pastor Chris Liu for the registration form and more information [email].
7. The BASS [Bay Area Sunday School] Convention (March 5-7, 2015] is looking for volunteers to serve as ushers and information desk managers. Visit their web page atbassconvention.org/volunteer.cfm and sign up or contact Deacon Nelson Lu [email]
8. Summer Mission Opportunities:
– Our Taiwan Summer Mission Team (6/30-7/18)! Contact Pastor Chris Liu or mission deacon William Effendy if you are interested [email William]. The brochures for STM are now available.
– Belize Missions with Pastor Brian Leong of Lord’s Grace Church (July 10-19). Let me know if interested.
– New Life Community Church Medical Evangelism Missions in Honduras (Aug 16-22) in partnership with Luke Medical Missions. Let me know if interested.
9. Service Opportunity: City Team San Jose Kitchen Help needed at 580 Charles St, San Jose 95113. Saturdays 3/21, 3/28, or 4/18 (9 am – noon). We have reserved 8 slots for each Saturday. Contact William Effendy [email].
– Duties: Help prepare and serve food to the homeless and program residents; clean up dining room and kitchen after meals; sort and shelve food.
– Qualifications: All volunteers must be over 14 years old. All female volunteers should dress modestly. We strongly urge that all females be accompanied by at least one adult male.
10. The next opportunity for baptism, confirmation, or to join Canaan as a member will be Easter Sunday, April 5. Applicants and inquirers should join Canaan Basics, which will be offered in March. Speak to me for more details.
11. Are you interested ins starting a VisionQuest group? Let me know and I’ll help you set one up!
12. Canaan People column: Share about yourself to our community in the Canaan People column of our weekly bulletin. Please go to bit.ly/iamcanaanpeople and let us know who you are and why Canaan is so special to you! Thanks to all who have already participated.
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries