January 28, 2015
Greetings Canaan English Ministry members and friends!
If you worshiped with us this past Sunday, you were treated to three wonderful testimonies. It seemed as if the Holy Spirit inspired Ming, Tobi, and Mei to remind us that responding to God’s call often means making difficult choices, enduring disappointments, and walking through the valley of the shadow of death. Every follower of Jesus is a minister. It was good to be ministered by you!
So far in our Epiphany sermon series, we are discovering that the pattern of life that Jesus set for us is about servanthood, baptism into ministry, ministering by engaging people, and heeding a call that requires us to bear our crosses daily.
This Sunday’s message will highlight another part of life that Jesus models for us: living with authority (Mark 1:21-28). If you ever felt like you’ve lost control over your life and that life’s demands are overwhelming, then come and see what Jesus did!
This Sunday, we’ll also have a very important Town Hall meeting during the Community Hour (11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m.) in Worship Hall 3. Everglow Youth and Mandarin Parenting class will still be held, but other classes will be cancelled. I encourage everyone else to attend whether or not you are a member. The main topic for the Town Hall will be to discuss the plans for remodeling our church building. Members of our session will be available to respond to our questions. We’ll also hear more about and ask questions about the fund-raising committee’s plan.
Then, at 3:18 p.m., consider joining one of two Superbowl parties that are being hosted by our members. Unlike Superbowl parties that are just for friends and family, our parties are opportunities to connect with new people – both churched and unchurched. Followers of Christ seek to redeem every moment for ministry. Why? Because we are all ministers! Besides, ministry can be really fun!
One of the Superbowl parties will be with our Young Adults. Contact Arthur Saye [mail] for details. The other is for all age groups. It will be hosted by John Tang and Matt Lee – and held at Matt’s restaurant, Sonoma Chicken Coop – Almaden (5925 Almaden Expressway, San Jose CA 95120). Contact John Tang [mail] for details.
Also, a reminder that this Saturday, the Children’s Ministry is hosting a Family Potluck and Movie Night (Fellowship Hall, 5-8 p.m.). We will watch Mulan. Contact Nicole Lu [email]. Register at kids.ecanaan.org
VERY IMPORTANT. The Canaan People column needs someone to share for this Sunday and the future! It only takes a few minutes to share about yourself to our community in the Canaan People column of our weekly bulletin. Please go to bit.ly/iamcanaanpeople today and let us know who you are and why Canaan is so special to you! The more people who share, the better! Many thanks to all who have already participated.
Other Important Announcements
1. The weekly Canaan English Ministry Calendar has been updated. Go to canaanem.org/calendar/
2. The Annual Inter-church Youth Retreat is coming Feb 13-16! Speak to Pastor Chris Liu for the registration form and more information [email].
3. The World Christian Conference will be held at Redwood Christian Park on Feb 13-16. The theme is “Blessed to be a Blessing” Register by Feb 2nd at wcfellowship.org/wcc/2015/
4. The BASS [Bay Area Sunday School] Convention (March 5-7, 2015] is looking for volunteers to serve as ushers and information desk managers. Visit their web page at bassconvention.org/volunteer.cfm and sign up or contact Deacon Nelson Lu [email]
5. Service Opportunity: City Team San Jose Kitchen support needed at 580 Charles St, San Jose 95113. Saturdays 3/21, 3/28, or 4/18 (9 am – noon). We have reserved 8 slots for each Saturday. Contact William Effendy [email].
– Duties: Help prepare and serve food to the homeless and program residents; clean up dining room and kitchen after meals; sort and shelve food.
– Qualifications: All volunteers must be over 14 years old. All female volunteers should dress modestly. We strongly urge that all females be accompanied by at least one adult male.
6. Summer Mission Opportunities:
– Our Taiwan Summer Mission Team (6/30-7/18)! Contact Pastor Chris Liu or mission deacon William Effendy if you are interested [email]. The brochures for STM are now available.
– Belize Missions with Pastor Brian Leong of Lord’s Grace Church (July 10-19). The Belize mission applications are now available. Let me know if interested [email].
– New Life Community Church Medical Evangelism Missions in Honduras (Aug 16-22) in partnership with Luke Medical Missions. Let me know if interested [email].
7. The next opportunity for baptism, confirmation, or to join Canaan as a member will be Easter Sunday, April 5. Applicants and inquirers should join Canaan Basics, which will be offered on March 1, 8, and 22. Speak to me for more details [email].
8. Are you interested ins starting a VisionQuest group? Let me know and I’ll help you set one up! [email]
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries