February 4, 2015
Greetings Canaan English Ministry members and friends!
Having trouble sitting through sermons? Does Bible study feel boring? Finding it difficult to pray regularly? Not motivated to invite and encourage people to follow Jesus? Far too many of us are living a defeated Christian life – defeated by the demons of busy-ness, misplaced priorities, and self-centered thinking. In my message this last Sunday, I wanted us to see that Jesus has authority over all these demons because he is God’s son. In the same way, we also have authority over our demons because we are God’s children. Once we’ve experienced salvation through grace in Christ, we are empowered by the Holy Spirit to live a life of service and ministry. Having this power and authority means that there is nothing that should dominate, enslave, or hinder us from living a victorious Christian life – unless we allow them to. So be bold, y’all!
This Sunday, we’ll continue to explore how Jesus’ ministry focus sets a pattern for balance in our lives (Mark 1:29-39). Afterwards, our Acts study and Recent College Grads connect will resume.
VERY IMPORTANT. The Canaan People column needs someone to share for this Sunday and the future! It only takes a few minutes to share about yourself to our community in the Canaan People column of our weekly bulletin. Please go to bit.ly/iamcanaanpeople today and let us know who you are and why Canaan is so special to you! The more people who share, the better! Many thanks to all who have already participated.
Other Important Announcements
1. The weekly Canaan English Ministry Calendar has been updated. Go to canaanem.org/calendar/
2. The Annual Inter-church Youth Retreat is Feb 13-16! Speak to Pastor Chris Liu for the registration form and more information [email Chris]. Everglow Fellowship and Sunday activity will be canceled on Friday and Sunday.
3. The BASS [Bay Area Sunday School] Convention (March 5-7, 2015] offers excellent workshops for anyone who serves in church. Visit bassconvention.org and speak to Nelson Lu [email Nelson] or Shirley Tai [email Shirley].
4. Service Opportunity: City Team San Jose Kitchen support needed at 580 Charles St, San Jose 95113. Saturdays 3/21, 3/28, or 4/18 (9 am – noon). We have reserved 8 slots for each Saturday. Contact William Effendy [email William].
– Duties: Help prepare and serve food to the homeless and program residents; clean up dining room and kitchen after meals; sort and shelve food.
– Qualifications: All volunteers must be over 14 years old. All female volunteers should dress modestly. We strongly urge that all females be accompanied by at least one adult male.
5. Summer Mission Opportunities update:
– Our Taiwan Summer Mission Team (6/30-7/18)! Contact Pastor Chris Liu or mission deacon William Effendy if you are interested [email William]. The brochures for STM are now available.
– Belize Missions with Pastor Brian Leong of Lord’s Grace Church (July 10-19). The Belize mission information file and applications are now available. Let me know if interested [email me].
– New Life Community Church Medical Evangelism Missions in Honduras (Aug 16-22) in partnership with Luke Medical Missions. Let me know if interested [email me].
6. The next opportunity for baptism, confirmation, or to join Canaan as a member will be Easter Sunday, April 5. Applicants and inquirers should join Canaan Basics, which will be offered on March 1, 8, and 22. Speak to me for more details [email me].
7. SAVE THESE DATES: August 7-9, 2015. All-church Retreat at U.C. Santa Cruz. We will have English Youth, English Adult, Children’s, Mandarin, and Taiwanese tracks. We’ll also be at Stevenson College where there are newly renovated housing accommodations. Volunteers are needed to help organize the retreat! Please let me know if you are interested in helping! [email me]
8. Are you interested ins starting a VisionQuest group? Let me know and I’ll help you set one up! [email me]
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries