February 11, 2015
Greetings Canaan English Ministry members and friends!
It was fun to have my sermon “hacked” by those who worshipped in English Service last Sunday. I hope that we also were inspired by Jesus’ active life of healing people! There’ll be more “hacking” in the future!
This Sunday, most of our youth will be attending the annual inter-church Youth Retreat. It’ll be a great experience. Pray that God will use that time to awaken and deepen their walk with Jesus. During English service, we will conclude our Epiphany sermon series about Jesus, the Architect of Christian Life with a message that reflects on Jesus’ Transfiguration (Mark 2:2-9).
We then enter the Season of Lent on Ash Wednesday (Feb. 18th). Our sermon focus will shift to “House Cleaning” to help us prepare for Jesus’ journey to the cross by letting God cleanse our hearts and minds. Let’s make our lives and our ministry at Canaan habitable for God!
After service, our Recent College Grad group will meet to discuss Strengths Finder 2.0. There will be no youth activity, but the Acts bible study will be available for everyone.
By the way, a special thanks to Matt and Jessie and Arthur and Vicki and anyone else who hosted a Superbowl party for Canaan people and friends on Feb. 1! Thanks to John Tang for helping to organize the one held at Matt and Jessie’s restaurant. That was one of the most memorable Super Bowls – and I trust that we all had good fellowship!
Up next: Lunar New Year celebrations…
- Parents of Everglow will host a dinner on Friday, Feb. 20th at 7 p.m. Invite your friends! [email Pastor Ralph Su]
- Our Young Adults will have their annual Hot Pot Lunar New Year Celebration on Tuesday, Feb 26 at church (7:30 p.m.) Invite your friends! [email Pastor Chris Liu]
VERY IMPORTANT. The Canaan People column needs someone to share for this Sunday and the future! It only takes a few minutes to share about yourself to our community in the Canaan People column of our weekly bulletin. Please go to bit.ly/iamcanaanpeople today and let us know who you are and why Canaan is so special to you! The more people who share, the better! Many thanks to all who have already participated.
Other Important Announcements
1. The weekly Canaan English Ministry Calendar has been updated. Go to canaanem.org/calendar/
2. The BASS [Bay Area Sunday School] Convention (March 5-7, 2015] offers excellent workshops for anyone who serves in church. Visit bassconvention.org and get the church registration code from Nelson Lu [email Nelson]. Shirley will carpool to BASS Convention on Friday morning Mar 6 until 2 PM. Meet at her home [email Shirley].
3. Service Opportunity: City Team San Jose Kitchen support needed at 580 Charles St, San Jose 95113. Only 6 slots are available for Saturdays 3/21 (9 am – noon). Contact William Effendy [email William].
– Duties: Help prepare and serve food to the homeless and program residents; clean up dining room and kitchen after meals; sort and shelve food.
– Qualifications: All volunteers must be over 14 years old. All female volunteers should dress modestly. We strongly urge that all females be accompanied by at least one adult male.
4. Summer Mission Opportunities update:
- Our Taiwan Summer Mission Team (6/30-7/18)! Contact Pastor Chris Liu or mission deacon William Effendy if you are interested[email William]. The brochures for STM are now available.
- Belize Missions with Pastor Brian Leong of Lord’s Grace Church (July 10-19). The Belize mission information file and applications are now available. Let me know if interested [email me].
- New Life Community Church Medical Evangelism Missions in Honduras (Aug 16-22) in partnership with Luke Medical Missions. Let me know if interested [email me]. The deadline to apply is this Sunday, Feb. 15th. Visit: http://honduras.newlifesj.org An informational video can be found at: http://www.newlifesj.org/honduras-2015/honduras-2015-missions-trip-information-video/
- Luke Medical Missions is offering a Taiwan MSCE Mission (Medical Students Cultural Exchange) on July 11-19, 2015 at Mackay Medical College, July 20-25 for other service opportunities in Taiwan (optional). We also welcome applicants to consider possibility of a more extended stay/shadowing/service in a Christian Hospital for 2-4 weeks (we can match for them). The application Deadline: March 31 MSCE home page: https://mscesummercamp.wordpress.com/ Application: https://mscesummercamp.wordpress.com/apply/
5. Don’t forget! Daylight Savings Time begins March 8. Move your clocks ahead one hour, lose one hour of sleep. So go to bed earlier so that you won’t be late for 10 AM worship!
6. The next Testimony Sunday is March 15. The theme is “By Grace.” 3-4 persons are invited to share their testimonies based on this theme from the lectionary texts for that Sunday (Numbers 21:4-9; Psalm 107:1-3, 17-22; Ephesians 2:1-10; John 3:14-21] Email me if you are interested.
7. The next opportunity for baptism, confirmation, or to join Canaan as a memberwill be Easter Sunday, April 5. Applicants and inquirers should join Canaan Basics, which will be offered on March 1, 8, and 22. Speak to me for more details [email me].
8. SAVE THESE DATES: August 7-9, 2015. All-church Retreat at U.C. Santa Cruz. We will have English Youth, English Adult, Children’s, Mandarin, and Taiwanese tracks. We’ll also be at Stevenson College where there are newly renovated housing accommodations. Volunteers are needed to help organize the retreat! Please let me know if you are interested in helping! [email me]
9. Are you interested ins starting a VisionQuest group? Let me know and I’ll help you set one up! [email me]
10. Finally, a word to everyone who serves:
- This year, there is no reimbursement budget for Sunday snacks and refreshments. Please consider donating so that we can continue to offer snacks and refreshments each Sunday.
- Our volunteer coordination system is called Planning Center Online (PCO). If you are serving, please respond at least 3 weeks in advance to requests. Better yet, please schedule your available dates to serve at least a year in advance.
– Members of Praise Band and Greeters should contact Christina Chen [email Christina];
– Sound and video tech should contact Brian Chen [email Brian];
Snacks and Coffee/Tea set up & clean up should contact Stanley Chow [email Stanley];
– MCs should contact me [email me];
– Children’s ministry should contact Nicole Lu [email Nicole] or Shirley Tai [email Shirley].
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries