March 6, 2015
Greetings Canaan English Ministry members and friends!
It’s hard for me to believe that I’ve been at Canaan for five years now. Time really flew by quickly. But during these years, God has taught me so much. For as long as I am called to serve here, I look forward to more of his lessons through you.
Over the years, a generation of high school and college students have transitioned into the next life-stage. After helping our young adult ministry reboot, I’m grateful that it is growing, becoming more self-sustaining and attractive to new comers.
We’ve also seen more young families join our ministry. This has been so exciting! I pray that our potential to reach unchurched families in our community and to nurture our Christian families will become a reality in the next few years.
My hope and prayers are for our entire English Ministry to be rooted in gratitude to Christ, recognizing that our salvation comes at a tremendous cost. As a firmly rooted and grateful people, we will endeavor to bear fruit – not just materially and with our careers and relationships – but also in our spiritual lives, our service to this church and our community. But for this to happen, we must to be willing to be led by the Holy Spirit and by those whom God called to shepherd our church.
I look forward to more years of spiritual growth and missional advance in our English Ministry and our entire church.
* * *
This Sunday, we will continue our Lenten sermon series on “Cleaning House” by reflecting on the episode where Jesus drove merchants and money changers out of the temple. Last Sunday, I was delighted to have so many folks come up and talk to me about my sermon. It was a great opportunity to go deeper into God’s word since sermons only scratch the surface of what God is saying to us. I hope we’ll go even more deeply this Sunday!
Our young adults, led by Chris Su [email Chris] and Ming Su [email Ming], will be starting a Young Adults Community Hour this Sunday (11:15 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Worship Hall 3). College students, recent college graduates, and young adults, please stay after worship service and help kick off this new opportunity for fellowship and ministry!
Canaan Basics will be held during the community hour this Sunday (Picnic table in Worship Hall 3, 11:30 a.m.). Even if you are not ready to be baptized or to become a church member, this is a good opportunity to discuss what it means to be a follower of Jesus and a member of his body. The next opportunity for baptism, confirmation, or to join Canaan as a member will be Easter Sunday, April 5. The deadline for application is this Sunday. Let me know if you have any questions [email me]
During the lunch hour (12:30-1:30), come and invite friends to the Vacation Bible School (VBS) Preview Party in the Fellowship Hall! Preview our VBS music/shirts/materials, purchase music CDs, and pick up invitations for friends! Gifts will be given to all who have completed their registration (VBS.ecanaan.org) and paid $45/student. The VBS nursery program is free (but only open to children its family members who registered as VBS staff). By the way, our popular VBS summer camp will be held 7/28-8/1! Online registration is open for students (grade 5 and younger) and volunteers (grade 6 to adult) at vbs.ecanaan.org. More info at vbs.ecanaan.org, or talk to Shirley Tai [email Shirley].
Elder Peili is offering a Google Apps Booth and 3/15 at fellowship hall during lunch time. Our church uses Google applications for communication. All members are encouraged to acquire an ecanaan.org email address. Bring questions such as gmail, calendar, drive, group, sites, etc. to the booth!
Children’s Ministry Update:
– Contact Elder Shirley Tai at CLT@ecanaan.org since Children’s Ministries Director Nicole Lu is currently on maternity leave.
– Also, Sunday, 3/15 is the deadline to donate plastic Easter eggs and small toys/stickers/wrapped nut-free candies in the Fellowship Hall bin for the Easter Egg hunt.
* * *
OTHER IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS
visit canaanem.org for more information
The weekly Canaan English Ministry Calendar has been updated. Go to canaanem.org/calendar/
SUNDAY, MARCH 15
– We’ll have a testimony panel at the March 15 English worship service. The theme is “By Grace.” 3-4 persons are invited to share their testimonies based on this theme.
– The adult second hour class, “Finance and Faith,” led by Roland Chow [email Roland] and Betty Tseng [email Betty] will meet in Room 119 at 11:30 a.m.. Limited enrollment. Contact them for more information.
– Taiwan School open house celebration will be held at the Taiwanese American Center (second floor, 2:10-3:30). Details at etaiwanschool.org or 408-263-7188
MISSION AND SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
– City Team San Jose
Our City Team San Jose Kitchen support service at 580 Charles St, San Jose 95113 is just about ready! Thank you all for signing up for Saturdays 3/21, 3/28, 4/18 (9 am – noon). Contact William Effendy [email William] for more information.
– Summer Missions:
- Our Taiwan Summer Mission Team (6/30-7/18)! Contact Pastor Chris Liu [email Chris Liu] or mission deacon William Effendy if you are interested [email William]. The brochures and applications are now available and the deadline to apply is March 15th.
- Belize Missions with Pastor Brian Leong of Lord’s Grace Church (July 10-19). The Belize mission information file and applications are now available. Let me know if interested [email me].
- Luke Medical Missions is offering a Taiwan MSCE Mission (Medical Students Cultural Exchange) on July 11-19, 2015 at Mackay Medical College, July 20-25 for other service opportunities in Taiwan (optional). We also welcome applicants to consider possibility of a more extended stay/shadowing/service in a Christian Hospital for 2-4 weeks (we can match for them). The application deadline is March 31. MSCE home page: https://mscesummercamp.wordpress.com/ Application: https://mscesummercamp.wordpress.com/apply/
SAVE THESE DATES
– Everglow Youth. Beginning April 17, we will have two Sunday youth classes: Junior High and High School students (and other configurations, too). One class will meet in Room 150, while the other will remain in the Youth Lounge.
– August 7-9, 2015. All-church Retreat at U.C. Santa Cruz. We will have English Youth, English Adult, Children’s, Mandarin, and Taiwanese tracks. We’ll also be at Stevenson College where there are newly renovated housing accommodations. Volunteers are needed to help organize the retreat! Please let me know if you are interested in helping! [email me]
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries