March 13, 2015
Greetings Canaan English Ministry members and friends!
I’ve been sipping lemon honey tea (and sometimes with ginger, too) all week – fighting a stubborn cold that has robbed me of my voice. And now Betty is sick, too. I think I’ll have recovered enough to serve as MC this Sunday, but am not sure that Betty will be well enough to help co-lead the “Finance and Faith” second hour interactive class with Roland Chow. We are grateful that God has given both of us good health over the years and want to treat this current ailment as an opportunity to rest. Please pray for us!
* * *
Luke Christian Medical Missions English Ministry Event – April 11, 2015 (10:30 am – 2:00 pm)
Ironically, I got sick just after I joined the Luke Christian Medical Missions English Ministry leadership team! This is an exciting opportunity to build a network of Asian American Christians who want to promote missions in local and overseas healthcare arenas.
If you are a Christian healthcare provider or aspiring to become one, come to Luke Christian Medical Mission’s event on Saturday, April 11, 2015 when Christian healthcare providers from throughout the Bay Area will gather together for a time of fellowship, networking, and mutual edification!
Dr. Frank Dennis, a retired medical missionary to Taiwan, will share with us about his decades of experience as a orthopedic surgeon during a time when healthcare in Taiwan was still largely inaccessible and rather limited. We’ll also get to hear about several opportunities to use our healthcare skills to God’s glory both here in the Bay Area and abroad!
Location: Hilton Garden Inn San Jose/Milpitas, 30 Ranch Drive Milpitas, CA 95035
Registration begins at 10:30 AM. The event begins at 11:00 AM, will end by 2:00 PM and will include a free lunch!
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Emily at (408) 634-6014. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register at this Evite: http://bit.ly/1BCFkBX
Luke Christian Medical Mission English Ministry Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/lukechristian.mm
* * *
SUMMER INTERNSHIP (from Jeffrey Kuan)
If you are an Electrical or Computer Engineering student, Jeffrey Kuan’s company is looking for summer interns. Go to http://www.reflexionmedical.com/#!ee-summer-intern/c24x5 for details.
* * *
We will continue our Lenten sermon series on “Cleaning House” by hearing from Maggie Wu, Steve Pham, and Frank Hsueh about their experience of God’s grace. Some come and learn of God’s presence in the lives of our brothers and sisters in Christ!
Also, as I alluded to earlier, a new second hour class that addresses practical questions about finances and Christian faith will be led by Roland Chow and Betty Tseng. I’ve previewed their syllabus and am certain that this very interactive class will be very substantive and enjoyable. They will meet in room 119 at 11:30 a.m. Contact Betty Tseng [email Betty]or Roland Chow [email Roland] if you are interested or have any questions.
From William Effendy, EM Missions Deacon [email William]:
– The deadline to apply for the Taiwan Summer Mission Team (6/30-7/18) is this Sunday!
– We are seeking 3 more volunteers to serve at City Team San Jose on Saturday, March 21 (9am-Noon).
Elder Peili [email Peili] is offering a Google Apps Booth this Sunday in the fellowship hall during lunch time. Our church uses Google applications for communication. All members are encouraged to acquire an ecanaan.org email address. Bring questions such as gmail, calendar, drive, group, sites, etc. to the booth!
Taiwan School open house celebration will be held at the Taiwanese American Center (second floor, 2:10-3:30). Details at etaiwanschool.org or 408-263-7188
* * *
OTHER IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS
visit canaanem.org for more information
The weekly Canaan English Ministry Calendar has been updated. Go to canaanem.org/calendar/
GOOD FRIDAY SERVICE • APR 3, 7:30-9:30 PM
This year’s Good Friday Service is being organized by Frances and Tim Ang and Meixuan Lim and Ming Su. The service begin at 7:30 pm on April 3. Invite friends to reflect on the Seven Last Words of Christ! Register kids for the Friday children’s programs at kids.ecanaan.org.
– Contact Elder Shirley Tai at CLT@ecanaan.org since Children’s Ministries Director Nicole Lu is currently on maternity leave.
– This Sunday is the deadline to donate plastic Easter eggs and small toys/stickers/wrapped nut-free candies in the Fellowship Hall bin for the Easter Egg hunt.
– Our popular Vacation Bible School (VBS) summer camp will be held 7/28-8/1! Online registration is open for students (grade 5 and younger) and volunteers (grade 6 to adult) at vbs.ecanaan.org. More info at vbs.ecanaan.org, or talk to Shirley Tai [email Shirley].
MISSION AND SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
City Team San Jose
Our City Team San Jose Kitchen support service at 580 Charles St, San Jose 95113 is just about ready! Thank you all for signing up for Saturdays 3/21, 3/28, 4/18 (9 am – noon). Contact William Effendy [email William] for more information.
– Belize Missions with Pastor Brian Leong of Lord’s Grace Church (July 10-19). The Belize mission information file and applications are now available. Let me know if interested [email me].
– Luke Medical Missions is offering a Taiwan MSCE Mission (Medical Students Cultural Exchange) on July 11-19, 2015 at Mackay Medical College, July 20-25 for other service opportunities in Taiwan (optional). We also welcome applicants to consider possibility of a more extended stay/shadowing/service in a Christian Hospital for 2-4 weeks (we can match for them). The application deadline is March 31.
MSCE home page: https://mscesummercamp.wordpress.com/
SAVE THESE DATES
– English Ministry will be serving Sunday lunch in April. EM Deacon Stanley Chow will be seeking volunteers to help out. Contact him [email Stanley] for more information.
– Everglow Youth. Beginning April 17, we will have two Sunday youth classes: Junior High and High School students (and other configurations, too). One class will meet in Room 150, while the other will remain in the Youth Lounge.
– August 7-9, 2015. All-church Retreat at U.C. Santa Cruz. We will have English Youth, English Adult, Children’s, Mandarin, and Taiwanese tracks. We’ll also be at Stevenson College where there are newly renovated housing accommodations. Volunteers are needed to help organize the retreat! Please let me know if you are interested in helping! [email me]
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries