Saturday, June 27, 2015
Greetings, Canaan English ministries members and friends,
To be a disciple of Christ is to be revolutionary.
I know that this is difficult to digest since we are so used to using our faith to defend “traditional” values. But let us remember that “in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” (2 Cor 5:17). Jesus himself said following him is like “new wine…poured into new wineskins” (Luke 5:38). The gospel is not about being conservative or liberal – it’s about being revolutionary.
Many of you are aware that SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the U.S.) has just struck down bans on same-sex marriage, ruling that same-sex couples may now marry in all 50 states. The overwhelming response of conservative Christians has been grief, anger, or resignation. I recommend that you read Christianity Today’s editorial by Mark Galli, “Six Things To Do after the Supreme Court Decision on Gay Marriage: Now is not the time to sulk.”
It’s a very helpful response for those who think homosexuality is unbiblical. The reason why I asked Daniel Oei to share with us his ministry to the LGBT community is give us (adults and youth) a healthy way to address this issue. We will have opportunities to explore this further in our sermon series through the book of Judges and later in the year. (By the way, if you want to support Darren’s ministry, you may donate on-line at https://donate.intervarsity.org/donate#17795)
But let me restate what I said at the beginning. Being a disciple of Christ is about being revolutionary – neither conservative nor liberal. Paul’s letter to the Romans is an example of how revolutionary the gospel is. I invite you to join me tomorrow during second hour (11:30 a.m.; Worship Hall 3) as we kick off a new Sunday school series. Our youth, young adults, and adults will study Romans this summer in three classes. Find out how revolutionary this letter was for Martin Luther, Karl Barth, N.T. Wright, the world. and you! Become a revolutionary for Christ!
A few quick updates:
1. Congratulations to Eric Chou and Vicky Chen! Eric will be entering the Doctor of Pharmacy program at USC this fall. Vicky will begin a PhD in Education in the areas of language, literacy, and technology at U.C. Irvine. She has already moved to Irvine.
2. There will be a fire drill this Sunday after worship service. Be prepared to follow and exercise evacuation procedures.
3. This Sunday is the deadline to apply for baptism and church membership via transfer, or confirmation. Pending session approval, candidates will be welcomed at the All-Church worship service on July 26 (10 a.m.).
4. We raised more than $5,000 during our Go Missions! fund raiser last Sunday. Special thanks to everyone who helped provide and sell food items!
- June 30-July 18: Canaan Taiwan Short Term Mission. Contact William Effendy [email]
- July 7: Young Adults meet at one location (7:30 p.m.). Contact Frances Ang [email], Ming Su [email], or Eve Wu [email].
- July 10-July 19: Belize Short Term Mission (with Lord’s Grace Church). Contact Pastor Tim [email]
- July 12, 19, 26: Canaan A/V Tech Training. Contact William Tai [email]
- July 13: Session Meeting
- July 18: ELT Meeting (9 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.) – tentative. Contact Pastor Tim [email]
- July 25: VBS Staff training #2 (Fellowship Hall, 9:30 am -12 noon) Contact Shirley Tai [email]
- July 26: All-Church Welcome Service, VBS Commissioning, VBC Setup and Decoration for all staff.
- July 28-August 1: Vacation Bible School! Contact Shirley Tai [email]
- Aug 2: VBS Sunday at Canaan (afternoon clean up) Contact Shirley Tai [email]
- Aug 7-9: Canaan All-Church Retreat (UC Santa Cruz – Stevenson College). Contact Elder Scott Tsai [email]
- Aug 23: Second Hour Mission sharing – Taiwan Teen Prison Fellowship
Sept: English Ministry serves Sunday lunch. Contact Stanley Chow [email]
- Sept 4-7: English Ministry Camping Trip (Mt. Diablo). Contact Mike Ling [email]
- Sept 19: English Ministry All leader micro-retreat (9:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.) Contact Pastor Tim [email]