Saturday, July 3, 2015
Greetings, Canaan English ministries members and friends,
In last Sunday’s sermon, Gideon taught us that when we face so much adversity that we begin to question God’s faithfulness, that is usually the time when God challenges us to act and make a difference. The United States was built by people who faced adversity by stepping forward, often in faith. God used the blood and sweat of racial minorities and immigrants to bless this nation. So as we celebrate Independence Day, let us remember that God’s blessings is usually given to us through the generosity, effort, and sacrifice of suffering people.
In the same way, Canaan’s capacity to be a blessing and witness depends on people who hear God’s call in the face of adversity. They may spend some time ruminating about the unfairness of life. But they are not paralyzed by it. Instead, they roll up their sleeves and look for opportunities to build up and lead our church community. Just as Deborah and Barak modeled partnership between men and woman, Gideon shows us how to face adversity for the sake of God’s people!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries
A few quick updates:
1. During Second Hour this Sunday, our youth (room 160) and adults (room 119) will continue to study the book of Romans. James Chang will lead the adults. Our Young Adults will have a fellowship meeting in Worship Hall 3 and will resume their study of Romans on July 12th.
2. Canaan A/V Tech Training will be held on July 12, 19, 26 during Second Hour. Contact William Tai if you are interested [email]
3. On Tuesday, July 7, our Young Adults will start their summer fellowship on Tuesdays at 7:45 pm. They will meet at one location and split into men and women’s study/support groups. Contact Frances Ang [email], Ming Su [email], or Eve Wu [email] for details and address.
4. Our pastors and elders will meet on Tuesday morning to talk about Canaan’s response to the SCOTUS decision regarding same-sex marriage. Please pray for wisdom in our discussions.
5. Summer Missions
– Taiwan Short Terms Missionaries have arrived in Taiwan. Pray for Wendy Huang, Christian Chen, Connor Chen, Suzi Chu, Albert Sun, Brandon Sun, Chris Su, Tobi Chen, Joanne Her, Irene Lin, Maggie Wu, Wesley Huang, Monica Hsu, Terrance Chang, and Jason Chang as they serve underprivileged children between June 30 and July 18.
– Our Belize Missionaries, Judy, Roland, Allison, and Josephine Chow, and Daniel Tsai will be leaving for Belize on July 10th until July 19th. Pray for them as they join two other churches in serving the poor there.
6. Nomination for elders and deacons has started. If you are interested in serving or would like to recommend someone, please speak to our pastoral staff or elders.
- July 13: Session Meeting. Contact Pastor Su [email]
- July 18: ELT Meeting postponed. Contact Pastor Tim [email]
- July 25: VBS Staff training #2 (Fellowship Hall, 9:30 am -12 noon) Contact Shirley Tai [email]
- July 26: All-Church Welcome Service, VBS Commissioning, VBC Setup and Decoration for all staff.
- July 28-August 1: Vacation Bible School! Contact Shirley Tai [email]
- Aug 2: VBS Sunday at Canaan (afternoon clean up) Contact Shirley Tai [email]
- Aug 7-9: Canaan All-Church Retreat (UC Santa Cruz – Stevenson College). Contact Elder Scott Tsai [email]
- Aug 23: Second Hour Mission sharing – Taiwan Teen Prison Fellowship
- Sept: English Ministry serves Sunday lunch. Contact Stanley Chow [email]
- Sept 4-7: English Ministry Camping Trip (Mt. Diablo). Contact Mike Ling [email]
- Sept 19: English Ministry All leader micro-retreat (9:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.) Contact Pastor Tim [email]