Friday, September 11, 2015
Greetings, Canaan English ministries members and friends!
I trust you are enjoying the beginning of autumn! Betty and I excited and busy preparing for our 30th Anniversary celebration vacation to Europe this Oct. 5-19. Early in our marriage, we dreamed about visiting Europe. But like most people in ministry, we deferred “bigger” vacations because our service to God and God’s people was so much more exciting and enriching. So after nearly 30 years, I felt that we could no longer wait.
While in Europe, Pastor Chris Liu will manage the worship services, bulletin, and announcements. Beginning October 4, please send him news that you’d like to share. It would also help greatly if you could confirm or sign up on Planning Center Online now if you are serving in English worship service in October.
- Torence and Nicole Lu will dedicate baby Madeline Jane to the Lord during English worship service.
- Family Ministry will offer a Marriage Enrichment class beginning today in the Main Lobby (11:40 am-12:30 pm).
- English (and Youth) Ministry is responsible for Sunday Lunch Service. Stanley Chow is this Sunday’s Lunch Coordinator. Please sign up at the food service link at https://canaanem.org/ right away.
- Taiwan School of Taiwan American Center will begin its new school year this Sunday. There will be free try out sessions at 1:10pm. Please browse etaiwanschool.org. for details
We have started our fall sermon series on 1 Corinthians, the second part of our Building Up the Church theme. In my sermon last Sunday, I wanted us to see how the message of the cross is at the heart of building up a church. “Christ crucified” is foolishness to the Greeks and a stumbling block to the Jews – and also to all who come to church seeking their own expectations to be fulfilled above Jesus’ expectations. A Christian community remains united when everyone imitates Jesus’ counter-intuitive way of living and thinking.
I think many of us have realized that parts of the bible are rated PG-13. Last summer we preached through Song of Solomon and this summer, we explored Judges. While very few parts of the Bible approach the “Game of Thrones” level of violence and sex, the Bible does speak explicitly about them. It may seem counter-intuitive, but I believe that EM 2.0 level sermons and teaching should not avoid “adult” topics. I feel that the best way for youth and adults to understand how to be a Christian witness in an R-rated world is to address the topics directly. But I promise to do my best to keep the Sunday sermons at a PG-13 level (please remember, however, that PG-13 for some people would be considered R for others).
In any case, most sermons will not address “taboo” subjects. But fair warning – on Sept 27, my message will be entitled “Responsible Sexual Ethic” (based on 1 Corinthians 5-6) and on Oct 4 I’ll speak on “Responsive Marriage” (based on 1 Corinthians 7). They will be important messages since both Asian and American societies’ approach to sexuality and marriage is becoming very confused (I hope that we can also address these topics more thoroughly beyond the Sunday messages). These messages will be rated PG-13 (by my rating system). But parents who are uncomfortable about letting their teenagers listen should feel free to have the kids participate in a different worship service those dates.
- Farewell dinner for Pastor Chris Chen on 9/24 5:30pm at China Stix, $25 per person please pay and register to elder Anita, Peter, Jiunjie, Mingyuan if you would like to come.
- Melody Hsu invites you to her Piano Recital on Saturday, September 26 (2 PM) at Santa Clara University Recital Hall.
- 9/26 Family Potluck and Movie Night (Toy Story) for families with children in grade 5 & under. Siblings & friends welcome! Saturday, 9/26, 5-8pm in Fellowship Hall. RSVP at kids.ecanaan.org.
See you Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD
Pastor of English Ministries
– Sept 3: Consistory Gathering (rescheduled, 6:30-9:30 pm, Main Lobby)
– Sept 4-6: Camping Trip – Mount Diablo. Contact Mike Ling
– Sept 20: English and Youth Town Hall (Second Hour, Worship Hall 3)
– Oct 31: Daylight Savings ends. Move your clocks back an hour.
– Nov 1: Canaan 35th anniversary celebration
– Nov 8: Baptism and membership application due for 12/6 all-church welcome service
– Nov 15: Congregational Meeting