Thursday, November 12, 2015
Greetings, Canaan English ministries members and friends!
I spend a lot of time asking myself, “what makes Canaan’s English Ministry so special?” That is, what makes us so attractive that people are willing to drive great distances and give generous amount of time and resources just to be part of this faith community?
The obvious answer is that we attract people who like to be part of an intergenerational faith community and feel comfortable in a Taiwanese environment. But more and more Asian American Christians (especially those who just graduated from college) are drawn to churches that claim to be more centered on the “Bible,” “True Doctrine,” or “Passion” than churches like Canaan. Being intergenerational is not good enough for them. So I feel that Canaan’s English ministry needs to counter this “new Pharaseeism” with a resoundingly biblical and healthy theological response: First Love Christianity. I shared glimmers of this with our EM 2.0 theme. Next year, I’d like us to build on our existing strengths by being known as “First Love” Christians (EM 2.1). We’ll spend time during the English and Youth Leadership Micro-retreat on January 9 to explore what this means (WH3 9 am – 2 pm). I hope you will join us.
See you Sunday!
Pastor of English Ministries
2. Let us welcome our new members at the next all church worship service (Dec. 6, 10 a.m. Worship Hall 1). Joining us will be:
– Matt and Jessi Lee (membership transfer)
– Tobi Chen (confirmation)
– Jerry Chang (baptism)
3. Operation Christmas Child (OCC) packing party. Tomorrow evening (Nov 13) at Canaan. Led by Youth Parents and a Potluck (7 pm). Bring items for the shoeboxes as well if you have any. Contact Wendy for more details.
4. This Sunday:
– We will conclude our sermon series on 1 Corinthians during English service. For many who were burnt out or discouraged by the difficulties of becoming the church God desires, Paul offers a final word of encouragement – be the resurrection!
– After worship, we will need help to move a piano and other EM items from the second floor to the first. The remodeling of the second floor and Worship Hall 3 will begin next week. More details will be shared at service.
– At 11:30 a.m., 2015 Congregational meeting (Today, 11:30, Worship Hall 1). All are welcome to attend, but only active Canaan members may cast ballots. Please check your membership status which is posted in the Fellowship Hall.
5. Youth update:
I hope you are all doing well. Thanks to all those who came out this past Friday to help with the Operation Christmas Child shoebox packing. I think the youth had a lot of fun going to the store and purchasing their own items to pack their personal shoebox. It was also neat because one of the store workers asked them where they were from and they were able to share that we are from Canaan Church and what we are doing!
This Friday and Sunday, we will continue our lessons on Jesus’ parables. Last Sunday, we looked at the parable of the moneylender and how he forgave both a large debt and a small debt. The main point was that we all need forgiveness and how great it is that Jesus has died for everyone and we our debts have been forgiven (big and small). We also looked at the parable of the lamp on the stand and again how God has called us to be light to the world and to live for Him every day.
A couple of reminders for upcoming events. We have Girl’s Appreciation on Saturday (11/21). It will be from 6-9pm. There will be no official youth group no Friday (11/20), but we will ask the guys to come out on Friday so we can do some preparation and setup for Girl’s Appreciation the following day.
There is also no fellowship 11/27 due to Thanksgiving.
Have a great rest of the week!
Associate Pastor of English Ministries
Canaan Taiwanese Christian Church [email]
6. Consistory gathering will be held Saturday (11/21) in Worship Hall 3 (10:30-12:30) to be followed by English Leadership Team lunch meeting. All current and newly elected deacons and elders are expected to attend.
7. Next Sunday, Nov 22 is Thanksgiving and Leaders Appreciation day. Help will be needed to set up the Christmas tree and decorate the worship hall after service. We then begin our Advent Season on Nov 29th.
9. The Luke Medical Missions English ministry fellowship & networking event, will be held on Dec. 19 (3:00 – 6:30 PM with dinner following) at the Hyatt House – Silicon Valley (75 Headquarters Dr., San Jose, CA). This free event includes dinner. We will get to hear from several speakers. For more information and to register for the conference, check out our webpage: http://lukechristian.org/2015/11/12/121915-winter-conference/