Friday, November 20, 2015
Greetings, Canaan English ministries members and friends!
I struggle to love people. Especially people that appear so preoccupied with themselves, their families, and their friends that faith, life purpose, church, and a hurting world don’t seem to matter. But I have to always examine myself because I am guilty of doing the same.
As I preached through Judges and I Corinthians with you this past year, I learned a valuable lesson. If I claim to love God and follow Jesus, I must love my brothers and sisters in Christ. And I show our love by putting the interests of others above mine and devoting myself to building up the church.
It’s hard for me to love my Christian brothers and sisters when I don’t feel appreciated, heard, or affirmed. There are many other reasons why I struggle to love, but just one reason why I must love the members of the body of Christ – namely Jesus’ self-sacrificing love for me and all humanity despite how poorly he was treated.
I look forward to learning along with you how to sustain my “first love” for God and how to “first love” others in 2016.
As we conclude the Christian year, I want thank you all for supporting Canaan’s English ministry and being patient with my weaknesses.
Jesus reigns! May God’s name be glorified!
Pastor of English Ministries
P.S. Special thanks to Stanley, Julian, William Tai, and Vincent Chen for clearing out the second floor storage room and moving a piano to room 117 last Friday. I’m excited that we are starting our facility improvement!
- This Sunday:
– We will celebrate Thanksgiving and The Reign of Christ (a.k.a. Christ the King Sunday). We’ll also appreciate our deacons and elders and present the Christmas tree. Come and hear our brothers and sisters share their testimonies, too!
– Tien Dao Christian Bookstore will host a book fair in the Fellowship Hall. Devotional books and Christian gifts are available for purchase with discounts.
– Operation Christmas Child concludes. All shoeboxes will be collected. Drivers are needed to drop off the shoeboxes. Monetary donation is still needed to cover the shipping cost. Please write a tax deductible donation to CTCC, memo: OCC. Thank you, Wendy Huang, for coordinating OCC this year.
3. Let’s celebrate Advent!
Bring Christmas tree ornaments on Sunday, November 29th. Join us in decorating the Christmas tree and our worship hall.
4. Youth Group This Week
We have a lot going on this weekend, so please read carefully!
On Friday, the guys and girls will be doing separate activities. The guys will be meeting at church during our regular meeting time (8-10pm) to prepare for our Sisters Appreciation Night. The girls are currently planning their own girls night out activity.
On Saturday, we have our Sisters Appreciation Night. We are asking the brothers to come to church at 4pm to help setup and the sisters can come at 6pm. We will be meeting in the Main Lobby (blue wavy wall room) at church and should be done around 8pm.
For Sunday 2nd Hour, we will be splitting up into High School and Middle School classes. Arthur and Vicki will be leading the High School group and they will meet in Room 150. I will be leading the Middle School class and we will meet in our youth room (160). Both classes will be looking at The Parable of the 4 Soils.
Some upcoming notes:
– Turkey Bowl (flag football) on Thanksgiving day (11/26) from 9:30am-12pm at Kennedy Middle School.
– No fellowship next Friday (11/27) for Thanksgiving break.
– Dec. 4 activity night ~ Laser Tag
Have a great rest of the week!
Associate Pastor of English Ministries
5. Young Adults:
As 2015 is coming to an end, here is a heads up for upcoming meetings for the rest of the year so you can plan accordingly:
11/23 – YA Core Team conference call
11/26 – (Thanksgiving) – No meeting
12/3 – Regular Small Group at Vicki and Arthur’s
12/10 – Large Group volunteering at Second Harvest Food Bank (6-8 PM)
12/17 – Large Group Christmas gathering
12/24 (Christmas Eve) – No meeting
12/31 (New Year’s Eve) – No meeting
6. Luke Medical Missions English Ministry conference:
Fellowship & networking will be held on Dec. 19 (3:00 – 6:30 PM with dinner following) at the Hyatt House, Silicon Valley (75 Headquarters Dr., San Jose, CA). This free event includes dinner. We will get to hear from several speakers, including our own Crystal Chen Ling. For more information and to register for the conference, check out our webpage: http://lukechristian.org/2015/11/12/121915-winter-conference/
7. Sign up to serve in English Worship in 2016
It’s time to sign up to help lead worship service in 2016! Let Pastor Tim know if you would like to be an MC, greeter, provide refreshment support, join a choir, be part of the Praise Band, be an AV tech, help out with Good Friday or other special worship services, or do anything else to serve the Lord!