December 17, 2015
Dear Canaan members and friends,
The best gift we can give to Jesus this Christmas is to love Canaan church and its people. Christians aren’t perfect. That’s why congregations always struggle to attain the biblical ideals of community and witness. Indeed, we church people need to constantly correct our assumptions and behavior to align with God’s desire to redeem his creation.
Nevertheless, we are all called to build up local churches by learning to love their flawed people. So in 2016, would you consider how you can love Canaan more? Like the song of the drummer boy, give what you are able to out of reverence for Christ and love for his people.
This Sunday will be very special. We will have a special Christmas worship service. But please note – the best part of the Christmas worship comes at the beginning. If you come late, you’ll miss it! So come before 10 a.m. Special thanks to Christina Chen for organizing the Christmas special worship!
During the second hour (11:30 a.m.), we’ll have a short, but fun party. We’ll bid farewell to Jeremy Lee, who will be leaving for medical school after giving many years of extraordinary service to Canaan. Chris Su is preparing food. We’ll play games and do other fun stuff. Special thanks to Betty Tseng for organizing the Christmas Party.
See you at church this Sunday!
Tim Tseng 曾 祥 雨 :: PhD [email]
Pastor of English Ministries || CanaanEM.org
Canaan Taiwanese Christian Church
Enjoy this video!
– Thanks everyone who helped with Compassion Network’s annual Tree of Hope program last week. Special thanks to Felicia Wu for coordinating it. Photos will be shared during the Christmas Party.
– On Sunday, Dec. 27, we will have a guest speaker, Pastor Gabriel Tseng of Crosswalk Church in Sunnyvale. He is partnering with Pastor Tim on the Emerging Leaders Program. Pastors Tim and Chris will be visiting family in Southern California during the Christmas break this year.
– Pray for our English Leadership Micro-retreat (Jan 9, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., Worship Hall 3). Our leadership team, youth, young adult, family ministry teams, small group leaders, and praise band members will meet to prepare our 2016 English Ministry year. Lunch and child care will be provided. Contact Pastor Tim for details [email].
– Perspectives on the World Christian Movement is offering classes in Mountain View, San Jose, and Livermore, beginning this Jan. 24th. Contact William Effendy for more information and scholarships [email].
– Canaan EM Mentor-Discipleship Program – coming soon! Frank Hsueh and Pastor Tim will launch a mentor-match and discipleship program in 2016.
– Pray for the Emerging Leaders Program of the Healthy Church Leaders Initiative is launching! This is a church leadership development ministry that Pastor Tim is leading (as a volunteer) to cultivate leaders who minister to Asian Americans in the Bay Area. Our first program is designed to mentor emerging leaders who are considering vocational ministry. We are looking for 10 participants in our first cohort group. Sign up by December 10th. Have a look at the website.
– Syrian Refugee Sunday (Jan. 10). Join our church as we learn about, pray for, and do something about the current crisis of refugees from Syria. We will be working with World Vision.
– Save these dates: The English Ministry Retreat to be held August 26-28, 2016 at Redwood Glens Conference Center. Redwood Glens is an ideal conference center for our English Ministry. Hotel-style accommodations, cabins (for youth), and space for tent camping are all available. Walking distance between swimming pool, basketball courts, athletic fields, meeting areas, and hiking trails are very short. Elder Shirley Tai is leading a team to organize the retreat. Please speak to her if you have any questions and/or would like to help! [email Shirley]