Sermon Summary • Pastor Chris Liu • July 10, 2016
1 John 1:1-4
The foundation of our Christian relationships and friendships starts with fellowship with Christ. What we have in common with one another is that we believe Jesus Christ came to die and save us from our sins. We have eternal life in and through Christ and that is why we meet and gather each week. It is why we do life together. So that we may continue to love God with all our hearts, souls, mind, and strength and that we may love others in that same way.
Here are seven ways we can build and deepen those friendships with one another. These are taken from Jerry and Mary White’s book Friends & Friendships.
1. Help each other grow spiritually. While it is great to catch up with one another and talk about current topics (news, sports, movies, etc…), we should also talk about our faith and share about how God is working in our lives.
2. with one another. One of the unique things we have in our Christian friendships is the opportunity to pray for one another. When both friends believe in God and believe that He is a personal and present God, they have something that is really special. Praying for one another is really cool because it allows us to really be a part of someone else’s life.
3. Keep each other accountable. This goes hand-in-hand with prayer. But something that we don’t always think about is that we have a special responsibility as brothers and sisters in Christ… and that is to keep one another accountable. Again, because we are in this community together and all about doing life together, it means that we are to help one another stay committed to Christ and call each other out when we start to stray.
4. Encourage and affirm each other. We should not only be there to keep each other accountable, but to really be a support for one another. Our lives won’t always be smooth. We will go through stressful situations in our lives. We will face tragedies and hurts. And the friends that are there when we go through those times are the ones that we will build deeper relationships with.
5. Help and serve each other. Another way to maintain our friendships is to help and serve one another. This shows that we really care for one another. Instead of only being focused on our own personal lives, we look to the lives of others and see how we can help others.
6. Have fun together. Christian friendships should be fun. It isn’t just about serious bible studies and praying (although that can be very fun too). But fellowship is important. Hanging out and having a good time together is important. We should be able to laugh with one another and enjoy spending time with one another. It’s great to be able to go on trips together and celebrate big life events together. Birthdays. Graduations. Weddings. Baby Showers.
7. Do spiritual battle together. The Bible makes it clear that we are in a spiritual battle against Satan. And when we fight those spiritual battles together it really build and deepens our relationships with each other. This means we need to be in positions to do spiritual warfare together and that means serving the Church and being a part of what God is doing around the world.